1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Or you could slice as normal and then use the script page on Josef Prusa's website to re-jig the program for you and then do a priming pillar for filament changes.

http://prusaprinters.org/color-print/

As long as the Robo supports M600, this should work.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It looks like we may be close to a new Release Candidate. The following was posted on the Marlin site on Oct 23:

danzca6 likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Robo does support M600 per my post above where on the new 1.1.0 firmware we can enable it. I also think doing a post processing script in S3D below to change at layer 6 and layer 10 would work instead of the hassle with the Prusa sight.

{REPLACE "\n; layer 6, Z = " "; layer 6\nM600\n; layer 6 "}
    {REPLACE "\n; layer 10, Z = " "; layer 10\nM600\n; layer 10 "}

4. danzca6

@WheresWaldo I think activating the ability to have individual homing of axis is helpful. It is in the configuration.h file. If nothing else, for those that want it to be available on the LCD they can remove the comment lines.

Code:
    // Individual Axis Homing
    //
    // Add individual axis homing items (Home X, Home Y, and Home Z) to the LCD menu.
    //
    #define INDIVIDUAL_AXIS_HOMING_MENU  //--DANZ

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have been thinking about RC8 (coming soon!) and what will be enabled by default. As I am still trying to keep this as generic as possible, within limits of my personal usability, here is a list of what to expect.

Preconfigured Options
    • CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME, you may change this one if you want to display something at the bottom of your LCD panel.
    • HEATER_0_MAXTEMP has been increased to 320°C which should cover nearly all current materials and still work with the Hexagon.
    • DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT, there are actually 4 separate options here and only one is and should be enabled. If for instance you have an R1 with threaded rods and you upgrade to lead screws there is no need to download another version, just comment the current line and uncomment the correct one for your printer.
    • Z_MIN_PROBE_REPEATABILITY_TEST is enabled allowing use of the M48 g-code to test just how accurate and repeatable your Z axis probe is.
    • Either MESH_BED_LEVELING or AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR is enabled , every other parameter for each is identical in all firmware versions I have posted, so if you want to change between the two to see how each works, it is simply a matter of commenting one line and uncommenting the other then recompiling and uploading to your printer.
    • EEPROM_SETTINGS is enabled. This is only different for people who have the earliest Robo firmwares, it was disabled in the beginning. This allows you to set various options and store them in memory which is recalled after printer startup. It does require that you remember to either reset memory or change parameters and resave memory between firmware uploads (M502 | M500).
    • REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER with SD support, encoder movement reversal and encoder button beeping are all enabled. If you don't already have one, run out and get the full graphics controller, it will make your life much easier. For example when Unified Bed Leveling (UBL) becomes the standard for Marlin, without an LCD controller it will be nearly impossible to set up. The current MESH implementation is much easier with the controller installed.
    • BABYSTEPPING is enabled for the Z Axis only, allowing micro-adjusting of the layer height on the fly.
    • FILAMENT_CHANGE_FEATURE using M600 with additional parameters appropriate to the Robo provided by @danzca6.
    There will likely not be any more options enabled by default. All other changes to Marlin's configuration are simply specific changes required by all Robo R1 series printers. Once there is a gold release of 1.1.0 this thread will be closed and anyone is welcome to start another one that explains how to modify Marlin 1.1.0 to support additional things like IR probes, Thermocouplers, Individual axis homing, etc.

#785 WheresWaldo, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  6. danzca6

I like that idea WW. I was actually thinking of creating a separate thread to go over setup of firmware (old and new) for IR height sensor. Since this and the thread on the IR are both very long.

Rigmarol likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah, this tread is way too long, but I feel it is necessary to keep all the information on 1.1.0 (before actual release) all in one place. It has more replies than any other thread in this sub-forum and is already 40 pages long. It also has the third most views on this sub-forum. So for now it stays open until Marlin 1.1.0 GOLD is released.

I am also hoping that others pick up the ball at that time for modifications, compiler instructions, uploading, general usage, etc. so I can then move on to UBL and the next version of Marlin.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What we can do is when you are ready to close it, write a summary for the initial post and edit that (or I can edit it for you with the information you provide). Then close the thread.

Rigmarol likes this.
  9. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

i know i dont post much, but kinda info you looking for @WheresWaldo. i print damn near 24 hours a day.

10. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

Hello all new printer user here and still learning the ropes, how do I :clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:"

Been looking but cant find an answer

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

M502

M500

These are the codes to clear eeprom and save the clear.

You need to open your communication window in your slicer enter one code press enter then enter the 2nd press enter

12. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

Sorry I should have asked better, where or how do I enter those codes?

13. danzca6

What slicer program are you using? You can also open a window directly from the Arduino IDE used to update the firmware to send these as well.

In Arduino open the Tools -> Serial Monitor or Ctrl+Shft+M to open the window. Make sure the baud rate is set to 250000 and the correct com port is listed. You should be able to Send.

#793 danzca6, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  14. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

thanks thats what I was looking for. Should I see it do anything after I send the commands? My screen just stays at

start
    echo:Marlin1.0.0
    echo: Last Updated: Nov 2 2016 12:39:02 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1+ Single Extruder)
    Compiled: Nov 2 2016
    echo: Free Memory: 3964 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    echo:Stored settings retrieved
    echo:SD init fail

15. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

ok so you can tell how damn new I am to this. I have a Robo R1 Plus and I downloaded the RCBF_ABL_Plus_10-15 files and uploaded them. After it it gets done uploading my LCD screen looses all information and just has a bunch of n's on it.

I must be missing or overlooking something?

16. danzca6

should be ok. I think there is only one line or none at all when you send the M502 then M500. I can't remember exactly.

17. danzca6

Yes, because you probably have an XXL LCD and not the FULL Graphics LCD correct?

18. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

yes so I take it i need to change something somewhere hahahahaha

19. danzca6

Yes, under the Configuration.h tab, look for the following two lines about 2/3 of the way down. The REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER line should start with //#define to comment it out and the other line should not have the //. It is probably the other way around by default since @WheresWaldo has things setup for the Full Graphics by default.

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

I would also search for the following in the same tab and put // in front of it as well. That way the dial for the XXL LCD moves the menu in the correct direction.

#define REVERSE_ENCODER_DIRECTION

20. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

I really appreciate all the help @danzca6 Can you tell me what the difference is between the ABL and MESH versions? Im doing a test print now and seems to be going good, the only thing I noticed is on my LCD it just sits on heating.... instead of showing print time and such as before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.