1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

There are some LCD changes with the new Marlin. Some of the old features are just disabled and some others are just rewritten and behave different. The ABL and MESH versions don't change that. There might be some customizing of Marlin 1.1.0 threads starting sometime soon. I have done several modifications already and looking at a few more to work on in the next couple weeks that should be cool as well.

MESH is the way to go, but you should read through like Mark suggested and understand what it means and the process for setting it up before making the jump. Now that I've done it is super easy to me and I love the results.

3. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

Thanks all, yes I have a lot of reading to do. LOL

4. danzca6

The process has actually gotten easier in some ways since the post from @daniel871 linked above.

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Dan - I have a stock R1+ with the small LCD. Small models print fine, large models have issues with getting first layer consistent. Getting ready to make the jump to Mesh, but waiting for the next release. Are the changes you're making just to the config file, or are you modifying code?

Ed

6. danzca6

A little bit of both, but they are for things beyond MESH. The MESH leveling files WW has supplied work great for what you have. There are just some extra features I have been working on.

7. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Thanks - looking forward to seeing your mods. My experience is 90% of the messing around I do is to get a good first 2 layers, especially on larger prints. If I get a good foundation, the rest goes well. Been keeping a detailed log book with symptoms & fixes. Methodically getting the slicer settings dialed in. Hopefully Mesh leveling will take out one the major variables to getting consistent prints.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am holding off with a November 1st version of the RCBugFix files as there are only two issues remaining (according to Milestones) for Marlin 1.1.0. The main developer wrote a message already saying they want an RC8 version 'real soon'. I wanted to wait on RC8 before doing anything big. There are a few code changes that have to do with outlier math in the leveling routines and the movement routines, there is some new g-codes that can access lights and stuff like that. It is mostly just cleaning up and streamlining code. If I see something I feel we must have I will post it, but nothing jumps out at the moment.

9. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

Lol so after all that. I had to go back to stock firmware until I figure all this out. I tried printing sokething and the layers where paper thin. Even after 10. Min of printing I was able to still see the glass through the layers.

10. danzca6

Remember that z offset is no longer set using M565 with this version.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Probably flashed the wrong version, If you have a plus you have to flash the version for the plus not the version for the TR8 lead screws.

12. danzca6

No he said he downloaded RCBF_ABL_Plus_10-15 earlier. But that is a good point that your TR8 version is NOT for the leadscew upgrade from Robo (TR8*4) and is for those that got the TR8*8 leadscrews from a 3rd party.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

See what happens when you assume, I looked at his last statement of "the layers were paper thin" and thought of the step difference. Just to make sure it wasn't an error from my perspective I just downloaded the zip and double-checked the e-steps.

Geof likes this.
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I was really hoping not to do this but Marlin developers continue to make modifications. So here are the files as of November 4, 2016. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. Some obvious changes from previous RCBugFix versions and RC7 include multiple types of automatic bed leveling; 3POINT uses an arbitrary 3 points on the bed, LINEAR probes several points in a grid pattern, good for beds that only have a tilt in one plane (the original default option), BILINEAR probes several points in a grid pattern, good for large and/or uneven beds. I chose to enable BILINEAR with these configurations. Also of note in this release is the use of new Speed and Jerk code used by Josef Prusa in his new Mk2 printer. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_5-16_11-04 for Robo R1 with 5/16" threaded rod Z-Axis
      RCBF_ABL_8mm_11-04 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_11-04 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_R1-TR8_11-04 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.12 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/9 probe points (3 x 3 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. New code for Speed and Jerk routines
    7. SD Card support
    8. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    9. Babystepping enabled
    10. Encoder reversed
    11. Encoder beeps
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together.

Attached Files:

#814 WheresWaldo, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are all files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RCBugFix, as of November 4, 2016 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. New code from Josef Prusa improving Speed and Jerk routines. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_5-16_11-04 for Original Robo printers with 5/16" threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_8mm_11-04 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_11-04 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_R1-TR8_11-04 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.12 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-perform the MESH leveling routine and save the results.
    5. (Optional) Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer. M565 support is not included in this version. This affects the entire mesh, so you usually do not need Z offset at all.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. MESH Bed Leveling menu enabled
    6. New code for Speed and Jerk routines
    7. SD Card support
    8. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    9. Babystepping enabled
    10. Encoder reversed
    11. Encoder beeps
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  16. danzca6

Oh good...some fresh files to play with. Were there any MESH changes with these fixes or just with ABL?

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As far as I can tell there are just a few code fixes to babystepping, speed ups of LCD click updates, m-code for case lights (M355), there might be a few more.

18. danzca6

M355....interesting....I will have to check that out.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As far as I can tell, you assign a pin for CASE_LIGHT_PIN in Configuration_adv.h and then you can use it with whatever additional circuitry you need for lights and you can turn it on and off with M355.

It's around line 278.

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds correct. That was how we did the shutter on the DLP.
    Assigned the servo to a DO and then you can use the correct GCode to toggle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.