1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved PEI Upgrade and z-offset

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jsam, Nov 2, 2016.

1. jsam

jsam New Member

So my glass bed chipped earlier this week and I decided to upgrade the bed by adding a sheet of PEI.
    I used this youtube vid as a guide:

At the end of the vid he mentions that you should check the z-offset and possibly raise it a little bit.
    I know this can be done using MatterControl but I have since bought Simplify 3D and have been using that as the slicer.

If I needed to adjust the z-offset, am I correct in thinking I need to do that to the profile in Simplify 3D? If so is that done in one of the menus or do I have to modify the gcode directly? Anyone know of any guides of videos that could walk me through this?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Under scripts, there is the startup gcode. Change the M565 command as needed. If you're at -1.0 for example and need to get closer to the bed then change to -.9. Need it higher then -1.1. Just change by .1 at a time and go .05 of a change if you need to find tune it further. S3D already heats the hotend after probing so you should be good so your hot hotend doesn't touch of the pei plate.

#2 danzca6, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  3. jsam

jsam New Member

I found the starting script in the FFF profile and I'm not seeing M565, I'm seeing this:

G28 ; home all axes
    G29 ; probe the bed
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 X0 Y0 ; home again to start wipe
    G1 X20 Z0 F4800 ; wipe

Am I in the right place?

4. danzca6

Interesting... The M565 should be between the G28 and G29. You have been printing this way before the new plate?

5. jsam

jsam New Member

Yes, this is the first time I've looked at the starting script in S3D and I haven't touched any script since I started using it.

6. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Lower left on Simplfy3D - "Edit process settings", then G-Code tab, again lower left "Global G-Code Offsets."

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are many ways to skin the cat. I personally just prefer to do it in the startup GCODE, but there are several ways to accomplish the same thing.

Geof likes this.
  8. jsam

jsam New Member

Thanks for pointing that out Robert55, so if I change the Z-axis number (keeping it postive) the nozzle will be further away from the bed correct?

I tried a small test cube last night without making any changes and it seemed to work good except I was seeing the "elephant foot" I've read about in several posts.

9. danzca6

Are you referring to the M565 Z code? The value should always be negative in this case with the way the stock firmware and bed probing is setup for the Robo.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No, Robert is suggesting he use the global offset (I'd put it in the start up script for what its worth), I'm not sure how that reacts vs positive and negative numbers.

11. danzca6

Ok. Well one way to find out is to set the global and export the gcode to see what it sets. I would prefer the startup script change myself as well. Then I know for sure what is happening.

Geof likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might want to look over the Simplify3D tutorials. They are worth the time to review. The video ones are excellent.

13. jsam

jsam New Member

That sounds like a plan danzca6, how do you look a that g-code? Do you import it into a simple text editor or is there something in S3D that will show it? I was looking for a way to look at it yesterday with the test cube I printed but couldn't figure out how to do it in S3D.

As Geof mentioned I was referring to the global offset selections.

I think I'm going to first do a manual paper leveling of the bed as I'm sure that's changed with the addition of the PEI sheet.
    I might also try lowering the bed temp. The S3D profile sets the bed to 60, I think MC sets it at 50. I'm not sure I want to adjust nozzle temp yet (it's at 210) but that may also be an option (currently have Hatchbox black loaded).
    After that I'll take a look at the global offset selections. If anyone reading this has any insight on using those it would be greatly appreciated.

Mark, I've been looking at their tutorials but I haven't found anything that goes over the global offset selections. I've also been looking over their user forum for any helpful info.

14. danzca6

I use Notepad or Notepad++

WheresWaldo likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Remember you can actually open a support ticket with them and ask :)

Their support folks are generally excellent

Geof likes this.
  16. jsam

jsam New Member

I use a Mac at home and don't have Notepad. I tried to open it up in the equivalent but it didn't seem to work.
    I'll try to open the file on my work machine which is a pc.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just understand that the generated GCode is an ASCII file format (but can get quite large) so any editor for your operating system that handles large, plain-text files will work

18. jsam

jsam New Member

Did a manual level with paper, that was a little off so better now. I tried a print with a lower bed temperature but not much improvement. It looks like the first later is getting squished a little. I've been printing a 20mm test cube, when it's complete, there is like a .5mm brim around the base of the print.

I looked at the gcode file S3D produced in notepad and got this:

G28 ; home all axes,
    G29 ; probe the bed,
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle,
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait,
    G28 X0 Y0 ; home again to start wipe,
    G1 X20 Z0 F4800 ; wipe; layerChangeGcode,; retractionGcode,; toolChangeGcode,; endingGcode,
    M104 S0 ; turn off extruder,
    M140 S0 ; turn off bed,G1 X10 Y200 ; park position,
    M84 ; disable motors

So it looks like I'm matching the starting script from S3D.

I think the next thing to try is modifying the starting script in S3D based on the suggestions above.

19. jsam

jsam New Member

Mark, I found this thread from July where you posted your starting script:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/home-and-z-offset-settings-and-questions.8926/

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level
    M117 Waiting for extruder to stabilize
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; tool 0 temp - set and wait
    M117 Working on Print

You use Simplify 3D right? This would replace S3D current code?
    What would you recommend as starting value for the M565 command?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start with 1mm (M565 Z-1.0) and print some single layer test prints to tweak it in until it is perfect.