1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

HELP - HELP - Short Circuit on the FAN1 on the arduino board

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Carlos, Nov 10, 2016.

?

HELP - HELP - Short Circuit on the FAN1 on the arduino board

1. Repair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. repair arduino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carlos

Carlos New Member

Hi, please i need help.
    Im from Bolivia in South America, my printer is a ROBO 3D R1+ and I had a problem with a stuck extruder so i unemsabled it an cleaned up, after that it was working fine but i noticiced that the big fan on the back of the extruder was not working so i tested with the small fan cable and it worked so i suposed that it was loose or somethig on the board inside. I took off the base to see and it was all fine then y tried to conect the big fan cable to the fan1 on the board and it made a short circuit on the fan 1 and now it doesn´t turn on. A green led blinks twice and thats it. Please help me.
    DSC_0030.JPG

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Here is a diagram of what the R1+ ramps board looks like. Yours is a bit different having 4 headers on the LED pins than what is on this pic. I am assuming you are referring to the printcooling fan when you say, "big fan on the back of the extruder ". This diagram shows it as FAN0 on the lower right. The extruder and electronics cooling fans are by the yellow fuses near the top right. Robo went custom on the RAMPS for the R1+ and has provided the community with no "open source" information about it. This pic was something our buddy @Geof put together for us. Looks like they make random revisions with it as well. I would try seeing if you have these other fan ports on your board and see if they will work for you. I can see FAN0 on yours, but not the other two with pic quality.

R1+ Ramps.jpg

Carlos likes this.
  3. danzca6

Carlos likes this.
  4. danzca6

Looks like @Geof has the same layout as yours, but you can see he had nothing plugged into FAN1 where circled the pins. Hope that helps.

R1+ Ramps v2.jpg

Carlos likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are two fans near the extruder.
    The one that cools the extruder and the Parts fan (cools printed parts and labeled as Print Cooling Fan in that picture).

Carlos likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Make sure we are all on the same page like @mark tomlinson has said above. The small fan on the side of the extruder is the hotend fan. The large fan behind the extruder is the parts fan, it only comes on when directed by the slicer. (ex mine is set to come on at layer 2). If the polarity (red and black wires) are backwards the fans do not spin on the r1+(stock fans)

Carlos and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. danzca6

Right...and the small fan on the side of the hotend is on all the time (stock). You can send a gcode command to turn on the part cooling fan to test it without starting a print. M106 is on and M107 is off. Just open the terminal window in whatever slicer program you are using and send it to test.

Carlos and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Carlos

Carlos New Member

I feel so bad, I made a short circuit on the board at the fan1 conector, I saw a spark and everything went off, now it does not turn on and seeing some posts suggest checking the capacitors in case of short circuit and you can fix the board. A diagram of the electrical circuit on the board would help me a lot. Thank you all.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Carlos. Ramps boards are cheap. Search Amazon for a replacement and follow my thread to put in an r1+ :)

Carlos likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Geof, don't assume that all RAMPS boards are cheap in all parts of the world. Carlos mentioned in the first post that he is in Bolivia. As far as I can tell most Latin American countries require the buyer to pay not only higher shipping costs but also tariffs.

@Carlos Can you order direct from Chinese companies? If so places like Banggood or AliExpress might be better sources.

#10 WheresWaldo, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Geof and Carlos like this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good to know ! Thank you!

12. Carlos

Carlos New Member

Yes RAMPAS are not so cheep here because of higher shipping costs but also tariffs.But i dont see another way ill have to buy one from amazone if you wold please referme a specific model and the a link to the tutorial to put in an r1+. Thanks you guys, for your time.

13. danzca6

Or, is your printer still under warranty? May want to call Robo and explain what happened. They might replace under warranty.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Carlos likes this.
  15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Carlos, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Carlos, sorry to hear. I love the kit @WheresWaldo linked to. @danzca6 has a good point, give robo a call about shipping you one if under warranty ?

17. Carlos

Carlos New Member

Hi, all the electrical components are ok on my arduino and rams, now im trying to flash its firmware but i get this error:

Arduino:1.6.12 (Windows 10), Tarjeta:"Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\SdFile.h:27:0,

from sketch\cardreader.h:8,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:44:

SdBaseFile.h:38: error: using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'

struct fpos_t {

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin.h:10:0,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:30:

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\stdio.h:950:33: note: 'fpos_t' has a previous declaration here

__extension__ typedef long long fpos_t;

^

exit status 1
    using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'

Este reporte podría tener más información con
    "Mostrar salida detallada durante la compilación"
    opción habilitada en Archivo -> Preferencias.

Attached Files:

18. danzca6

That's your root error. In the Arduino IDE with the firmware sketch open, just do a search across all tabs changing fpos_t to filepos_t and you should be able to compile and upload.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@Geof for the FAQ :)

(you thought I forgot)

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol i forgot !