1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I just downloaded the zip file and loaded the marlin.ino. Then hit verify, and that's what it spit out at me.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Bradf80
    Then it is your setup, because I just did the same thing and got this message from the Arduino IDE.

Sketch uses 135,538 bytes (53%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
    Global variables use 4,985 bytes (60%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3,207 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
    So it is not the firmware code. If you download the Official Robo firmware does it throw you an error also?

Download and install the latest version of the IDE from www.arduino.cc and do not use the one on Miscrosoft Store. The latest version is 1.6.13.

3. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

Installed 1.6.8 and it compiled fine. So the newest version of IDE doesn't like those files, or at least the one I downloaded for the R1+ with regular autolevel....lol

I'm not sure where the 1.7 version came from honestly..I think I may have downloaded a beta version or something.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Good news.

I always try to test it on the latest stable release of the IDE, that is currently 1.6.13. You do need at a minimum 1.6.8 or it will not compile. I have no clue where you got your version. Even the nightly build is only 1.6.14.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Should have RC8 up in a few hours, I will also change the title of this thread to indicate we are on a new RC.

Geof, Steven Stowell and danzca6 like this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RC 8. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC8_ABL_5-16 for Robo R1 with 5/16" threaded rod Z-Axis
      RC8_ABL_8mm for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC8_ABL_PLUS for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC8_ABL_TR8 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.13 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/9 probe points (3 x 3 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    7. Simplified probe configuration
    8. Reduce serial communication errors
    9. Add M211 to Enable/Disable Software Endstops
    10. Add M355 to turn the case light on/off and set brightness
    11. Improved I2C class with full master/slave support
    12. Add G38.2 G38.3 command option for CNC style probing
    13. Add MINIMUM_STEPPER_PULSE option to adjust step pulse duration
    14. Add R parameter support for G2/G3
    15. Add M43 optional command (PINS_DEBUGGING)
    16. Improved sanity checking of configuration
    17. New and updated languages
    New - FADE control allows you to compensate for bed unevenness over a longer range of Z heights. By default, all corrections are made in layer one. To enable this you must issue a M420 Zn.nn code either in a terminal window or added to the beginning of your startup script. Value n.nn is the number of millimeters you would like the FADE to occur in.

New - The LCD now features a more streamlined small font and a big font for single line items. If you LCD exhibits screen corruption as a result of the sped up code, change line # 475 in Configuration_adv.h to a value of 10. This function will work on most LCD screens with a value as low as 5 uS which can speed up the screen writes significantly. The full speedup (using 5 uS screen delay) can save as much as 300,000 CPU cycles.

New - With the proper wiring you can now control RGB LEDs direct from your printer using the M150 code. Requires that #define RGB_LED be enabled (Configuration.h line # 1366) and the LED is attached to pins 34, 43, 35 by default. (This feature is currently disabled)

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together.

Attached Files:

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RC 8. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC8_MESH_5-16 for Robo R1 with 5/16" threaded rod Z-Axis
      RC8_MESH_8mm for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC8_MESH_PLUS for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC8_MESH_TR8 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.13 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn, where n.nn is the amount of offset from the bed. M565 and M851 support is not included in this version of Marlin.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    6. Simplified probe configuration
    7. Reduce serial communication errors
    8. Add M211 to Enable/Disable Software Endstops
    9. Add M355 to turn the case light on/off and set brightness
    10. Improved I2C class with full master/slave support
    11. Add G38.2 G38.3 command option for CNC style probing
    12. Add MINIMUM_STEPPER_PULSE option to adjust step pulse duration
    13. Add R parameter support for G2/G3
    14. Add M43 optional command (PINS_DEBUGGING)
    15. Improved sanity checking of configuration
    16. New and updated languages
    New - FADE control allows you to compensate for bed unevenness over a longer range of Z heights. By default, all corrections are made in layer one. To enable this you must issue a M420 Zn.nn code either in a terminal window or added to the beginning of your startup script. Value n.nn is the number of millimeters you would like the FADE to occur in.

New - The LCD now features a more streamlined small font and a big font for single line items. If you LCD exhibits screen corruption as a result of the sped up code, change line # 475 in Configuration_adv.h to a value of 10. This function will work on most LCD screens with a value as low as 5 uS which can speed up the screen writes significantly. The full speedup (using 5 uS screen delay) can save as much as 300,000 CPU cycles.

New - With the proper wiring you can now control RGB LEDs direct from your printer using the M150 code. Requires that #define RGB_LED be enabled (Configuration.h line # 1366) and the LED is attached to pins 34, 43, 35 by default. (This feature is currently disabled)

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together.

Attached Files:

James Harry likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Now with the release of RC8, I am going to take a short break and will probably wait until the start of 2017 before compiling another set of files. I am also going to drop the set for 5/16" rods since no one should be still using those. Remember if you find any issues please report them to the Marlin development team.

Bradf80 likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I do for one printer :) But feel free to drop them since I maintain my own configuration. This should be quite rare.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson the edits will still be there, it's just the work of archiving, storage, uploading I want to relieve myself of. So for 5/16" it will be uncomment one line, then comment another all in the movement section.

11. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

M150 Test Result (Controlling RGB LED)
    I did enable the new feature, @WheresWaldo noted above, RGB_LED in Configuration.h and I was able to control a single RGB LED board (buy here) with the M150 command. I hooked it up using 3 of the 4 servo pins on the RAMPS as pictured below. I put colored dots on each pin I used. Can be a useful mod.

NOTE: The board I bought already has the needed resistors built in for a 5V power input.

Documented use of the M150 command
    Code:
      /**
       * M150: Set Status LED Color - Use R-U-B for R-G-B
       * Always sets all 3 components. If a component is left out, set to 0.
       * Examples:
       *   M150 R255       ; Turn LED red
       *   M150 R255 U127  ; Turn LED orange (PWM only)
       *   M150            ; Turn LED off
       *   M150 R U B      ; Turn LED white
       */

Code:
    // Support for an RGB LED using 3 separate pins with optional PWM
    #define RGB_LED //--DANZ
    #if ENABLED(RGB_LED)
      #define RGB_LED_R_PIN 6 //--DANZ
      #define RGB_LED_G_PIN 5 //--DANZ
      #define RGB_LED_B_PIN 4 //--DANZ
    #endif

RAMPS board connections:
    RAMPS RGB LED Connections.png

Here is an example of the LED (Don't pay mind to the colors on the wires they are just what came with the LED)
    LED Red.png

#931 danzca6, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Really? Now M851 is no longer supported? That was a last minute change.....

13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

14. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I will assume that when UBL becomes the standard leveling mechanism that one of the offset methods will win out, since UBL will incorporate some sort of universal settings. So don't fall "in love" with one or the other, and just roll with it.

16. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

So, I was wondering if anyone on here using MESH, is using a sensor of some sort (BLTouch, Prox. Switch) to run the mesh probes? I have a much larger bed than the factory Robo, and I just cant seem to get the same feel with the feeler gauges on every probe, not to mention i have 4-X probes, and 6-Y probes, so its getting tiresome going through it over and over. I would like to find a more "guaranteed" way to get the same feel or level of probe measurement on each point. Any help as far as feller gauges. switches, probes, etc, would be a great help! Thanks guys!

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

18. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Alright thanks, I'll do that. The IR, pretty straight forward? I'd like something simple to implement. Basically just looking for something that can give me a nice consistent probe, even if there are any tricks for still running the the mesh manually with a probe to "click" and then i know that point is good and then on to the next. Thanks!

19. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Also, Do you know if an inductive sensor can be used on my glass bed, if my platform is a solid sheet of aluminum? Glass is 3-4mm thick, is this something that could be offset or would it negate the fact of the glass be un-level?

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Post RC8 there might be a few interesting things coming. One is saving the bed compensation to EEPROM regardless what method was used to level. That means you will be able to Auto-level, then save the resulting grid and recall it later. You do have to Auto-level once then save with the M500 command. If using ABL you will have to change your startup g-code sequence since G28 dumps the auto-level grid from memory. You would reinstate it by removing the follow-up G29 with an M501 to restore the grid to memory.

There is more code to make the LCD controllers more responsive as they update, or rather how much is updated, which is now dynamic, so when the printer is idle the menus will act more like the old Marlin. (Thank god)

All the fancy LCD defines have been moved to Configuration_adv.h and now hollow menu boxes as well as big and little fonts will be there.

Can't wait to see what more they add between now and the New Year.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.