1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Lack of parts and support with Robo

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Shane Simino, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

So I'm really pretty happy with my Robo R1 + except lack of support. I had a problem with my SD card reader not working right out of the box. I called Robo and they were going to send me a new Arduino board, but needed me to send an email. I did that and NEVER heard back from them. I bought one after market myself and a Ramps 1.4. That solved my problem, but I shouldn't have had to do this.

I keep seeing all of these troubleshooting posts where people are looking for parts. I've never purchased a product where I couldn't go to the companies website and purchase replacement parts. You can't with Robo. I'm thinking about buying another printer and really hesitate because of this experience. It feels like you buy this item and you're kind of on your own. The guys in the forum are tremendously helpful and that's Robo's only saving grace, but I really think Robo needs to correct this to be a serious contender in the 3D industry. I've been surfing other sites with quality printers and they DO offer pretty much all wear and tear parts to order.

Any opinions on this? I've heard mixed reviews on service, but my own has not been good.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, except for recently (the custom RAMPS in the R1+ and now the custom canister thermistor) they have been an open platform and you really did not need to buy from them (although warranty parts should NEVER be a problem for any vendor).

I rather liked that. Having dealt with other printers that were NOT as open (or open at all in some cases) it is not a fun time there...
    I agree that of late there have been a number of cases I have witnessed where support (of any sort) was lacking and parts have been iffy (in terms of availability). Which, when you have custom bits, is unacceptable.

Geof and Shane Simino like this.
  3. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

I think open source is great, but how about a parts list then, so we can order from Amazon or micro center, or whoever. Problem is, there's soooo many parts out there, it's overwhelming and a little guess work. No one wants to be down and guess work isn't fun.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We used to have an FAQ :)

5. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

LOL! What do you mean "used to"?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Someone will take up the torch again one day. Maybe even Robo with the debut of the R2/C2 or whatever they are called :)

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I went with Robo because they were open source and I wouldn't need to be chained to just them for my parts.
    With all the upgrades available for it and the relative low cost of parts I still think I made the right choice.

I have dealt with support and parts replacement from Robo directly during my warranty period and I was very happy with their service.
    Yes, I had to call a few times and repeat my email a few times but not unreasonably for a small business. I even took my printer to them after making a service appointment and had 3 techs all working on my issue at the same time.

Now that they have been bought out or merged or whatever, I'm anxious to see how that works out for all involved. In the mean time I'm probably going to put spare parts on my Christmas wish list.

Shane Simino likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have had worse treatment for more expensive printers from other companies.

Generally if they are not great initially being persistent will pay off with Robo, or yell for help here and someone can get their attention

Shane Simino, Geof and Rigmarol like this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ill kick em just holler.

Shane Simino likes this.
  12. tom1441

tom1441 New Member

It has been about three weeks and I haven't got my parts yet. They were under warranty even did a Skype with support.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Tom, what parts are you needing ? Have you tried calling them direct ? What model printer ?

14. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

All good news to hear from everyone. Valid points, and I am happy with the printer, just concerned about another purchase. I was unaware they were bought out or "whatever". That could be good or bad. We will see.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Never bad with the forum guys helping ya out. The parts for these machines are quite cheap and typically long lasting :D

16. tom1441

tom1441 New Member

R1plus the tech said switches and wiring harnesses

17. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

I have had cause to contact support three times and been very happy with them each time, including getting two replacement parts. Compared to the support I got with my Printrbot Simple Metal, it's a world of difference (although Printrbot DID help me, it was just much more haphazard).

Silly question, but you did make sure that their message didn't get lost in a spam filter?

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@tom1441 maybe start a thread and we can get you rolling ?

19. Aaron Lunger

Aaron Lunger New Member

Personally, I love the printer. It's much better than my previous XYZ Printing machine.....

However....while XYZ's support was lacking, at least I could go and get replacement parts.

This....not so much. Even worse, trying to get some or replicate them is difficult at best.

Just recently had my print bed shatter....and low and behold, "Well, we aren't sure if there are any in stock, and we aren't sure when we will have more in stock".

Atleast when I bought my XYZ Printing printer, I knew I wasn't going to get support. With this, I'm realizing I should've gone elsewhere due to the lack of support and lack of alternative part options.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Aaron, you can get a piece of glass and a heater (and a few magnets) and be off to the races. Only real difference will be the glass wont be black anymore and the silly letting will be gone :D