1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!
Mike Kelly
Last Activity:
Apr 21, 2020
Birthday:
Apr 22, 1986 (Age: 37)
Mechanical Engineer

Share This Page

Mike Kelly

Volunteer, Male, 37, from Boston, MA

Mike Kelly was last seen:
Apr 21, 2020
    1. kaver84
      kaver84
    2. kaver84
      kaver84
      I have a brand new R1 with auto-level. Prints start as expected for the first few layers and then the hotend moves down and tries to print through the object. I've used mattercontrol with cura & matterslice, & repetier with slicer. I've contacted matterhackers and Robo3D, no help. I had a skype call with Jerry from Robo3d. He updated my driver & firmware version to V4 as I was running V1. Still wont work. Thoughts?
    3. syphion2004
      syphion2004
      hey mike i have a question for you. my printer went down a few weeks ago and jerry said he would ship the part but havent heard from him. its the cable for the heated bed. anyways . how can i print pla without a heated bed? and do you know when jerry will get back in? im assuming hes out because he hasnt responded to my emails.
      1. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        Set the bed temp to 0 to print PLA without a heated bed.

I think jerry is back either next or the following week
        Oct 3, 2014
    4. Osmethae
      Osmethae
      Hey Mike, you are such a big help to everyone and you have fixed a few problems for myself even. I am extremely grateful that you are around.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Osmethae
        Osmethae
        Anyways, enough sucking up
        I'm having some issues again, but this time with the heated bed. It has been like this since the day I received it but I'm just now wanting to move on to ABS. I can't get the heat bed past 85C without it cooling off and not working anymore (the heat bed not the printer itself). I put it on some blocks once for better airflow underneath but once it got to 90C it stopped heating once again.
        Oct 2, 2014
      3. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        Oct 2, 2014
    5. Dox
      Dox
      Mike,

I took your advice and kept trying to calibrate my Robo with the new E3dV6 hotend. It seems to be printing much better but I am having a problem with my First and 2nd layer.

The first layer has no adhesion to the bed even if I crank it to 85C with hairspray Here is a picture of a cube I tried to print. https://imageshack.com/i/f04tp3z9j (Sorry for it being a bit blurry)
      1. Dox
        Dox
        The cube is warped including the First and 2nd layer issues. Is it because of my cooling fan for the print isn't close enough? I am using the default mount.
        Sep 30, 2014
      2. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        Turn down the bed heat, let your hairspray dry, and then make sure you're close enough to the bed. If you're too high it won't adhere.
        Sep 30, 2014
      3. Dox
        Dox
        Sorry for the delay reply. I tried what you asked but the situation was the same (except the z accesss. Do I use the z offset or there is a command for first layer z distance? )

I increased my first layer infill .65 from .5 which fixed it. My 2nd and 3rd layer is coming out poor still though
        Oct 9, 2014
    6. Phil DiBona
      Phil DiBona
    7. Amir
      Amir
      Hi Mike,
      I need to replace my heater ( heat resistance) on J head. I am not sure if i should buy 5.6 ohm or 6.8 ohm. I have PLA. Printer. Would you please advise which it is the best for my printer, then i can order it.
      1. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        Does your J-head have a grey body or black
        Aug 10, 2014
    8. Mike Kelly
      Mike Kelly
      Contact me if you need help with anything
    9. Alex2324
      Alex2324
      I'm having a problem with the PlA in the middle of doing a test run on making my design by the second or 3 rd layer the plastic would pull off the bed and make a big mess of my design so I had to stop in the middle of printing have you ever had this problem or heared of anyone with this problem and how to fix it ?
      1. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        What are you using for adhesion?
        Jun 10, 2014
    10. Alex2324
      Alex2324
      Hey mike was wondering if you could help me out with a problem ?
    11. Francesco
      Francesco
      Thanks a lot !!!!!
      I'm gonna start working on it and I'll let you know about it.
      Coming weeks I'll make the physical changes.
      Thanks a lot
    12. Francesco
      Francesco
      Hi Mike!
      Congratulation for your Dual extruder, amazing project and really cool!
      I'm bothering you because I would like to ask you how can you set the 2 different extruders in the software, I mean, I would like to use the second extruder for support only, is possible to do so? Which slicer program do you use and how did you set repetier host ?
      Regards,
      Francesco Cinquini
      1. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        Hey Francesco, Glad you like it.

I use repetier for manual controls on my printer. It's easy to enable a second extruder, just go to the printer settings and select "2" from the Extruders dropdown.

To control the second extruder you select it from the drop down on the manual controls page.

There's some firmware changes that need to be done:
        Apr 9, 2014
      2. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        Configuration.h
        Define motherboard
        33 -> 34

Extruders
        1 -> 2

Temp_sensor_1
        0 -> 1

Uncomment
        #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 26.0}
        EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 0.0}

Configuration_adv.h
        #define EXTRUDERS
        1 -> 2
        Apr 9, 2014
      3. Mike Kelly
        Mike Kelly
        I use CURA to do my slicing for dual extrusions. I think you can do it in Slic3r but I couldn't figure it out.

Having support being on the second nozzle is pretty straight forward,. Import a model and you tell it to do supports from extruder 2. You'll need to define the spacing between the nozzles which takes some calibration. Mine was around 27mm,1mm.

lemme know if you need more help
        Apr 9, 2014
  • About

Birthday:
    Apr 22, 1986 (Age: 37)
    Mechanical Engineer
    gtalk: skype name @gmail.com

Signature

Any opinion or advice is that of my own. It should not be construed as official advice from any company or party. Perform any work at your own risk. Know your limits. My recommendations will not void the warranty.

If you appreciate my advice and would like to help out my hobby, consider donating through PayPal or purchasing something from my amazon wishlist