1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS not extruding

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Jesse Koering, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

Hello all!
    I am very new to 3d printing, I just got the ROBO 3d r1+ 2 days ago.
    I have already put around 8 hrs on it; but I am now encountering a problem I have not been able to solve. I have been trying to print a 8.75 hr job using ABS instead of PLA. After about 35-45 mins into the project the filament stops extruding. I have try increasing heat and lowering my speed but it still stops extruding and the wheel digs into the wire.
    Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Jesse

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Jesse welcome to the group. One thing to check is to see if while connected to usb you get an error code in the gcode terminal, Im expecting the temlerature may be falling. What temps are.you printing at, and are you sure you need abs ? Its very hard to print with...so hard of all my printers i only have one machine that does it well

3. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

I am printing my ABS @ 250 & 80 for the bed. I was told ABS is stronger to build with compared to PLA. I am trying to make a butt stock for an ar15 for my friend as a present and wanted to ensure that it will be strong and not crack. How would i see if there is a code? I am using Matter Controller at the moment and nothing has popped up at the begging, middle, or end of the build (like a pop up window.)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I cant speak for matter control.its been a few years for me. Maybe @Toro1966 , @danzca6 or @Rigmarol can assist with that but there should be a gcode communication console.

If they cant help out, ping matterhackers (they wrote it) but im sure one of them will jump in to help out

#4 Geof, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  5. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

I started to look up other slicers and found the one from makerbot looks ok, is there any you may sugest?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Cura or slic3r are 2 pretty often used ones.

Is the fan on your extruder running at all times ?

7. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

The fan defalts are still the same, It seems that it comes on after the first line or two on the z.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no the hotend fan (the small one on your extruder) will run all the time with power on, the other fan (40mm fan) will only come on like your saying based off your settings in your slicer. If the extruder fan isn't running that could be causings the jams.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

(as far as abs being stronger than PLA, yes it is, but there are alot of materials out there that are much better and easier to print with, ABS on the robo is very difficult to get done well)

Jesse Koering likes this.
  10. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

I think my wire might be swtiched then, my fans are working oposit of what you said. I am gonna swap the plugs and see if it helps.

11. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

Is there are types you would sugest or any brands known to be better than others?

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

it all depends on your needs. there is no hard and fast rule.

alot of people like nylons for insane strength and flexability but hard to print with

petg, xt, ngen for better than abs as a few examples. What you'll want to do is figure out do you need impact resistance? Heat resistance? etc then look for a material that matches your needs.

no real hard fast rule...more like a whatever works :D.

as far as the fans go, yes the small fan needs to be blowing on your extruder at all times or you will jam up (and it should be blowing air against the hotend). This is the small 25 mm fan.

Then the parts fan is controlled by the slicer...it is the larger 40mm fan.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As far as brands go -- my 2 cents:
    For normal filament types (like PLA) it doesn't usually matter beans where I get it.
    Cheapest out there works fine.

For nylons and other specialty filaments I strongly suggest a brand name (Taulman, ColorFabb, etc.) since those I have tried that were "generic" were crap. Not partly 'crap', but 100% crap.

14. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

lol thank you mark I am gonna be looking up some i saw there was difrent types of nylons is there one thats better?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not to come across as a snark, but that really depends on wt you want to do with it.
    Some wear better (handle rubbing/abrasion) some are more/less flexible so weather better (i.e. stand up outdoors longer) some are stronger, etc.

The nylon bridge is easy to learn to use as is Alloy 910. Personally Alloy910 is a great go-to filament all around and easy to print.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Stay away from anything that is just labeled generically as 'nylon' since you have no idea what the blend is, how it will work or print...

17. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

sorry i havnt been on for a while, i was out of town,
    i am looking up difrent ones one line and think i have found some good ones, i just used pla for the gift i was making and it is holding up well but i am gonna try some strong materials for a longer life..

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Dump every roll of ABS you have purchased and move to PET-G. If you need high temp some of the nylon blends from Taulman are also a good choice.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

by dump he means send to em to me :D

WheresWaldo likes this.