1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Removing bed plate and fixing y-axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DarkComet, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkComet

DarkComet New Member

This has happened before with my X-axis, but I had unplugged the cable back into the servo motor that pulls the belt controlling the X direction movement.
    The printer no longer moves on the Y-axis now, so like with the x prints are just straight lines and the printer is unaware that it isn't extruding outwards.
    I've taken the printer apart before to fix really clogged extruders and other things but never have taken off the bed. My question is is there an easy way or method that is obvious that I am not considering or do I need to unscrew each black plate (holding the z-axis rods) on each side of the bed plate before being able to remove it?
    Or do I need to remove the bed plate at all in order to get the belt back in place or get this plastic piece (that I constantly see forums about being broken)?
    Thank you for any help that can be provided, I don't want to start removing things that don't need to be removed just to get the bed plate off (if the bed plate even needs to be removed). Hopefully, this thread will help others as well if they are facing this problem.

Under bed 1.jpg Under bed 2.jpg Under bed 3.jpg Under bed 4.jpg Top view 1.jpg Top view 2.jpg

2. DarkComet

DarkComet New Member

If any other photos or information is needed, then let me know and I am more than willing to upload it. I just took general pictures so you guys could get the idea of what was happening.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is this piece that broke. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:865995. Robo can send you one if under warranty, otherwise McGyver it together enough to print out a couple of those pieces. Even if Robo sends you one, Print out a bunch of spares.

Dave Telling and DarkComet like this.
  4. DarkComet

DarkComet New Member

Does it require removing the bed plate to install the new piece? If so how do I do so?

5. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

The glass is held by magnets. You should be able to lift it in front or back or both. I have just lifted one end to put the belt in place and replace the tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DarkComet

DarkComet New Member

That's what I was hoping for. I knew it has to be easier than I was taking it on to be. I'll try that later today after work, both removing the bed plate and printing that replacement part if it is broken. Now, I'm glad that I asked before unnecessary unscrewing and taking things off. I tried lifting the bed up before, but assumed it was bolted down and that I would break it. I don't remember anywhere mentioning that it was magnetic in the manuals or online so I never tried and have never had a reason to remove it. Thank you both WheresWaldo and Ben Allgor. I'll fill you guys in later today.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you get lucky you can superglue the broken part and then print really slowly a replacement.*
    They are really small parts so even printing slow they are not a long print,

*I know, I did this.

8. DarkComet

DarkComet New Member

It worked! Thank you everyone so much for the help.
    Sorry for taking a while to get back, but I just finished the print and installed it.

This is what I did:
    - Removed the MAGNETIC bed plate (thank you Ben for that, saved me a lot of suffering) and retrieved the two pieces to the broken y-axis drive tensioners as wall as the bolt and the hex bolt.
    - Glued the original piece back together with super glue, then let glue cure for 24 hours (like it recommended)
    - Put the printer back together with repaired y-axis drive tensioner
    - Printed replacements: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:865995 (Thank you WheresWaldo for the link and Fichthorn for creating it)
    - I printed using the same settings (high resolution of 0.1mm layer height and 100% infill like recommended by Fichthorn), but reduced the speed multiplier all the way down to prevent further damage or breaking the glued piece (thank you Mark for your recommending I take it slow).
    - After about 3 hours then print finished and I installed both replacing both the front and back y-axis drive tensioners (no sanding needed, but was a tight fit with no slack)

**Hopefully this helps anyone else who encounters this problem and I really thank everyone who posted.

I'm printing a second pair to keep around just in case they crack again and I'm not lucky enough to have the pieces to glue together from the original part. I replaced both because both were damaged, one had cracked and broke completely and the other one had a lot of stress cracks.

Dave Telling likes this.
  9. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

I just read this thread, as I was wondering how the bed came up, and so thanks to all who contributed. It was also timely to read about the tensioner issue & now I can print a couple of replacements, just in case!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.