1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA Makergeeks Raptor PLA - high heat

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by David Sparrow, Aug 28, 2016.

1. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

I read a post somewhere about a stronger high temp PLA made by makergeeks. I bought a roll and what I can tell you so far... It's very strong. It also has a post print baking process that nearly doubles its strength and brings it's warp temperature to 125c. Best of all, it prints just like PLA. Out of the 9 prints I've attempted I have succeeded 9 times. I cant say that about any other material then PLA. It's impact resistance is higher than ABS. And...it's food grade. I would love to hear other peoples experiences with this material.

2. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Follow up. I am still impressed with the rigidity and resilience. Normal PLA i you put screws into pilot holes it it cracks this stuff doesn't ever seem to care. I haven't tested how high heat it is but I an tell you the oven at 100c didn't warp it. I've attempted 20+ prints but only had 1 failure that was caused by the filament. I had a bad spot in the filament that was too thick that jammed the printer. This has quickly becomes my favorite material. I've printed 6 items that are 12 inches long without warping. On my robo3d with e3d v6 hot end using simplify3d my best settings are 0.4mm nozzle. 97% extrusion. 230c/45c (bed is PEI) overlap is 32%. I'm very happy with these settings.

3. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

This morning I tried to use the Annealing process where you put the material into a 100C oven for 10 minutes on a part that was 12 inches long and would easily warp. It unfortunately did warp in the Annealing process. My more dense parts didn't have a problem with it but this part had a high chance for warp and it did. The annealing process heats up the plastic allowing the molecules to realign. Due to the cooling process when it builds there is alot of internal stress that is relieved when you heat it up. I would say this step is fine unless you are printing something long and thin with little infill; if that was the case I would skip the Annealing process.

4. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

After using the material and liking it I decided to take advantage of a 20% off sale. i ordered four rolls. I got a ship confirmation email saying all 4 rolls were on their way. When it arrived the box was only big enough for 2 rolls, I waited a couple of days and the other two rolls didn't arrive. So I contacted makergeeks.com. They said they had run out. I understand not every site can afford to have real time inventory system, but when you ship a partial order you are expected to contact the customer, not wait for them to notice it's missing. In their defense when I contacted them about it they refunded me the difference.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I think the thing to keep in mind with Makergeeks is that while you can get some screaming deals on some really good filament, they don't quite seem to be up to snuff when they get hammered on orders whenever they run a sale (mostly because they're becoming really popular via word of mouth, etc.).

As long as what they send out keeps on being high quality stuff I don't mind the occasional bit of communication to make something right if something is overlooked or an order takes a while to ship because their process for making filament doesn't quite allow for the huge volume of orders they get during a sale.

6. BillUpNorth

BillUpNorth New Member

Good to know - I've been half-tempted to order some from them to try out, specifically the Raptor PLA, but just hadn;t felt comfortable pulling the trigger. I'll give them a shot next week for some PLA I need.

7. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Any opinions on how well their Maker Series (Not the Raptor) PLA works?

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

My experience with Makergeeks filaments as far as actual printing goes have been positive regardless of what type of material I've bought.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  9. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I have no problem with their filament esp the Raptor series but their shipping can be horrible, I bought the 4 roll grab bag pla and petg about a month ago and they just now shipped after I complained and they only shipped half.

This email is to confirm the receipt of your recent order from MakerGeeks.com

You can always find out the current status of your order by going to

Date Wed Oct 12 17:56:02 CDT 2016
    Ship to Charles J Erwin

US United States
    Bill to Same
    Via UPS Ground
    Payment Visa

Name Code Qty Each Options
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maker Filament Grab Bag 44Filament 2 30.00 Choose Material #1 = Crystal Series
    2kg (4.4lbs) PLA
    Choose Material #2 = Crystal Series
    PETG
    Choose your Size = 1.75mm
    Subtotal 60.00
    Shipping 0.00
    Total 60.00

They just shipped yesterday

10. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

This stuff sticks like crazy to PEI. I may have to use glue stick in the future. It has the same dimensional accuracy as normal PLA if not better. Large thin parts stick well to the bed without coming up on the ends.

Comparing Esun PLA Pro to MakerGeeks Raptor PLA this is what I found...
    1. ESUN PLA Pro would pull up on the corners of medium sized prints. MakerGeeks Raptor never did even on the worst prints.
    2. ESUN PLA Pro still has some fumes but not much. MakerGeeks has no fumes period. At least non that I can detect and I'm pretty sensitive.
    3. Both appear to be able to put screws into them
    4. Layer bonding on the MakerGeeks Appears to be better but in terms of overall strength I think the Esun PLA pro wins. The Raptor gets stronger after you cure it back to about the same strength as normal PLA. However the curing process can warp your part if it's long and thin.
    5. Esun is still limited to 60c TG so do not leave it in a hot car. Very limited test doe show raptors handled temperature better but I don't know if it will leave up to it's rated 125c.

Verdict the Esun filament is cheap and nice and I'll continue to use it, but for anything that has to go in the car or take a beating will still being rigid i'll go with the raptor. Maybe someone who reads this can tell me if the ESUN lives up to it's very high strength rating?

Raptor Colors I've played with - black, blue.
    Esun PLA PRO colors I've played with black.

11. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

I Have yet to get makergeeks normal pla to print it always gets chewed up or jammed and when i cold pull it it comes out as thin hollow tube. i do like there abs and all the colors they have available only downside is the randomness on if you will recieve it in a couple days or over a month. but you should subscribe to the geek box they offer its a good deal you get 2 rolls and a tool every month for 33 dollars and those ship fast.

12. Chuck Erwin

This month I got two regular pla's black and white. Prints good for me. Two stickers, discount coupon, cold pull cord and nozzle pokey thing. Last month I got two crystal pla and the regular stuff. I just like surprise packages.

13. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

What is you're setup I have the e3d v6 and tonight I'm going to try the thermal paste and season the tip but what temp are you using mine just jambs up when I print for over an hour

14. Chuck Erwin

I am just using the stock hot end with pretty normal pla settings (200-220). Everyone's setting are going to be slightly different.
    If you're having jam issues with pla try using an oiler after the first couple of layers.

Also you may want to connect a computer up and monitor the nozzle temp while printing to make sure your holding the temp.

As Far As MakerGeeks shipping seams to have improved.

#14 Chuck Erwin, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  15. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

Ok so after the thermal paste and re adding my oiler I now have 1 more benchy to add to the pile and so far not having any problems other that the ghosting which I can't seem to get rid of I have tried everything

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pictures help.

17. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Could I highjack this thread for a quick sec and ask if anyone has tried their ABS? If so, what temp are you using? Just ordered 2 rolls and wanted to try and have a good start point. I have the r1+

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@m4r1n5
    ABS is one of the hardest filaments to print with as it is primarily designed to be injection molded not extruded. But I print ABS in the upper half of the temp range. Make sure parts fan is off, there are no drafts in the room at all, and you bed heat is high enough to make everything stick (because it WILL warp).

There are so many better filaments to print with rather than trying to mess with ABS.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I thought that that for a while also. I've been using Shaxon ABS and doing the abs slurry on the bed. Never had an issue with warping since I've used the slurry and I've done 4 prints over 17hrs. Two of them I did supports without a raft, which I wouldn't even think of doing in PLA.

#19 m4r1n5, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  20. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

[​IMG]