1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Lary post number one has direct links to the current versions. Because of a bug yet to be corrected in Marlin post RC8 there are currently no versions newer than RC8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. Lary

Lary New Member

Guess I must have a defective LCD screen. I am using that version. Weird how it detects the SD card but can't detect the files though.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Have you tried another SD card? Since it detected it, then you must have put it in correctly. I hate how it goes in upside-down.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Lary

Lary New Member

Yep. Also this particular SD card works with the XXL screen with no problems.

5. danzca6

well thankfully those lcd controllers are cheap.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Charles M Waldie 3

Charles M Waldie 3 New Member

I am trying this Marlin firmware out. I did the 8mm leadscrew version. When I do the homing the X and Y axis works, but after Z sort of homes it automatically goes up all the way to the max height of my printer. I checked all the wires and everything is fine. I just replaced my limit switches with new ones. I am confused...

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is a Z limit switch not working.

The the Z only goes up that is invariably the issue.
    The firmware will NOT allow the Z to go down if it thinks Z is home. Either of the switches being triggered is Z HOME

8. Charles M Waldie 3

Charles M Waldie 3 New Member

I'll have to check my z limit connection and reinstall them. Oy this printer does not like me. Lol

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have not forgotten about his firmware. The main contributor is away for a needed rest since early January and there are now 42 pull requests in the queue for RCBugFix. So there will be no new builds that I am working on until his return and the pull requests are merged with the existing code. So please continue using RC8.

I will try to have a version of RCBugFix as soon as he returns even if it doesn't fit with my schedule of having something on the 1st and/or 15th of each month.

anngeelow81, Rigmarol and Alan Childs like this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

For all the people waiting for an update, myself included; it looks like the main contributor is back and is merging in pull requests after moving to a new residence. Nothing added yet that is of any interest, but I will try to have a new set of files on the 15th/16th of this month.

Rigmarol and danzca6 like this.
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix as of February 15, 2017. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_R1_02-15 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_02-15 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_TR8_02-15 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.0 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    7. Some other stuff
    New - Sorting options for file list available in Configuration_adv.h. See section called "SD Card Sorting options".

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to RC8 and current RCBugFix files.

#991 WheresWaldo, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    James Harry likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix as of Febraury 15, 2017. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_R1_02-15 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_02-15 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_TR8_02-15 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.0 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn, where n.nn is the amount of offset from the bed. M565 and M851 support are not supported in this version of Marlin.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/25 probe points (5 x 5 grid)
    5. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    6. MESH adjustment heights configured to prevent fractional micro-steps
    New - Sorting options for file list available in Configuration_adv.h. See section called "SD Card Sorting options".

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to RC8 and current RCBugFix file.

#992 WheresWaldo, Feb 15, 2017
    James Harry, Ed Ferguson and danzca6 like this.
  13. Malte

Malte Member

OO CANT WAIT

14. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Does the MESH Bed Leveling automatically store to EEPROM? Or do you still need to issue M500 to save the values?

I thought I read they were working to auto-save on completion of performing the MESH leveling.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson
    I think its in a pull request but the code hasn't been merged yet.

It looks like there was talk back in November 2016, but little to no movement since then.

#995 WheresWaldo, Feb 15, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So, I flashed MESH and started playing around with it. The LCD is so much smoother than before and more responsive and the outline fonts save a lot of CPU cycles that are used now to print. I haven't played with the Alpha Sorting on the SD card as I rarely print from the SD (I use OctoPrint almost 100% of the time). So far I haven't found any real issues. I do think that using 0.04 mm stepping for the MESH adjustment might be too fine, I won't change it unless others think so also.

I think now that the Marlin contributors are back on track I can start to focus on other projects.

One last question, it is very easy to make a .hex file of each version and then you could upload a new firmware with MatterControl or OctoPrint (requires installation of avrdude and the Firmware Updater plugin). Might make it a bit easier since the .hex file is already compiled.

Fraser Simpson and James Harry like this.
  17. danzca6

I say keep the file format the way it is. I don't care much for the .hex files because there are always things you want to calibrate and doing so in the firmware is the best way to do that. Just my 2 cents.

18. Fraser Simpson

Fraser Simpson New Member

Thanks so much for all your efforts on this new code. It's certainly appreciated by me and I'm sure plenty of other users.

I have just spent a serious amount of time going through most of the pages of this thread, but my original R1 machine is pretty much stock apart from the full graphic LCD so do you have a config file for a stock machine that I can just adjust to enable the full LCD ? I've got an E3d V6 Hotend to add sometime soon, but for now wanted to get things working as it is, but wasn't sure on what I needed to change to undo the adjustments for the 8mm Z axis rods etc to get me back to stock.

Thanks again.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Fraser Simpson
    Just download the 8 mm set of files and you only should need 2 line changes. In Configuration.h look for this cluster of lines
    Code:
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 2267, 800 }  //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 5/16" Threaded Rods
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 2560, 800}  //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 8mm Threaded Rods
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 800, 800}  //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1+PLUS
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 400, 800, 800}  //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 TR8*8
    Take the first line in that group and remove the //, take the second line and add them to the beginning. In the end the first two lines in that group should look like this
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 2267, 800 }  //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 5/16" Threaded Rods
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 80, 80, 2560, 800}  //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 8mm Threaded Rods

20. Fraser Simpson

Fraser Simpson New Member

Thanks very much. I measured them last night (here in New Zealand) and they are the 5/16th ones that some people mention, so I'm guessing these were updated to the 8mm ones for later builds.......

Haven't really upgraded my machine since it was new, so going to have to do some more reading to get an idea of what gives the best bang for your bucks upgrades other than the new hotend.

Thanks again so much for your help......... it's very much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.