1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo3D R1 smoke out back and wont power up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Barry Steenbergh, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Steenbergh

Barry Steenbergh New Member

Hi All,

Just purchased a slightly used Robo3D R1 from a coworker who had owned it for a couple years but only made 4 prints on it. (Still have the original roll of filament..) Today I plugged it in and switched on and there was a small jet of white colored smoke that came out the back on the opposite side from where the power cord plugs in and the printer will not power up. Tried all the usual pull power, wait, try again and nothing. Tried plugging the USB into my PC and the PC doesn't see the printer attached. I don't see anything physically charred when I look at the large metal-enclosed part under the printer but I did smell ammonia from the white smoke. Very disappointing to not even get the printer to power on.. Any advice on how to proceed is welcome. Thanks! --Barry S

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Something died.
    Either the power supply or one of the two electronics cards (the arduino or the Ramps).

See if the power supply has 12vdc on the output terminals (if you have a meter). Otherwise see if there are any lights on the electronics cards.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

None of it individually is very expensive and we can help you find the faulty bits.

Barry Steenbergh likes this.
  4. Barry Steenbergh

I see 12v on the Red/green but not on Red/Black pairs. I do see a green LED lit near the middle of the printer but I'm not sure if there was an LED lit on the Arduino or not...

5. Barry Steenbergh

Thanks, Mark! I'm hopeful that I will be able to get it going. :) --Barry

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are two 12v pairs that come from the power supply over to the RAMPS/Arduino
    Make sure both of those rails have 12v.
    If so then likely one of the electronics boards died.

8. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

If it is the version that has led lights unplug it and move the bed back and forth fast with the power turned on if this lights the lights up then it is your power supply that is bad

9. Barry Steenbergh

Hey Mark,
    Looking at the power supply I see nine terminal. The Leftmost 3 have a "+V" the middle 3 have "-V" and the right three have (Ground) N L. Numbering left to right I get this: 1= empty 2=red 3=black 4=green 5=white 6=empty
    Voltages read: 2+3=0v 2+4=12v 2+5=12v 3+4=12v 3+5=12v I never saw a reading of -12v.

Spidematt: I dunno. I saw an unboxing video on youtube that had the whole printer glowing with a blue LED when turned on. Mine never did that, but I had the white smoke as soon as I turned the switch to on (so I never saw it do anything light-wise..)

Thanks for your help everyone! --Barry

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The extra terminals are just for convenience sake, it all goes to the same rails. so all the +V (+12V) are connected together, all the -V (-12V) are together all the grounds are together. So the lines out should be red to 1,2 or 3 the black to 4,5 or 6. The ground is for an earth ground and should be connected to the MAINS cord ground the white and black from the MAINS connect to the other input terminals.

Having the red and black connected to 2 and 3 is incorrect. LltK97G[1].jpg

And the correct wiring for the AC in is White to N, Black to L, Green to Ground The other six terminals are the only ones hooked up to the RAMPS board, never those three marked LNG.

#10 WheresWaldo, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

stealing that picture :)

Geof likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Had to fix my stupid mistake, standard wiring is Black to Line (L), White to Neutral (N) and Green to Ground (╧).

13. Barry Steenbergh

Hi All, My power supply definitely looks different than the one above.. (Sorry, not my best photography work..)

robo3dpower.JPG

If all three +V terminals are on one connecting bar and all three -V terminals are on another bar, I get a +12volt reading across the +V to -V. If I measure from the +V to Ground I get -0.5volts and if I measure -V to ground I get -1.2volts. Seems like my power supply isn't giving me the +12v and -12v like I think it should. Anyone else agree? Any other diagnosing I can try? Thanks everyone! --Barry

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The power supply provides 12v period. Not +12 and -12 :)
    so across the +/- you get 12v.

The three terminal (including earth gnd) on the right of your picture are the A/C input.

Geof likes this.
  15. Robert55

Robert55 Member

You let the Magic Smoke out!!! Everyone knows all electrical stuff runs on Magic Smoke, but only as long as it doesn't escape. Even big-ass power plants don't work when you let the Magic Smoke out. Look at Fukashima and Chernobyl....lol

16. Barry Steenbergh

Robert: LOL. yeah I thought the same thing. :( So if I have 12 volts across the +V and -V my power supply is ok? Any suggestions on where/how to troubleshoot next?

17. Morichalion

Morichalion Member

The computer would be able to see your arduino, even if the power supply was blown. So, since your computer cannot connect to the printer, my guess would be your arduino being shot.

Though, checking the PSU is the easiest step to take, so it should be first, and it was. You have 12V across the +v and -v, so it's good.

Next thing now is to examine your arduino and ramps. You'll likely have to replace one or both of those.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Barry Steenbergh

I own an Arduino Uno so that would be an inexpensive fix if that is my problem. :) The magic white smoke jetted out from the backside of my printer near the back corner of the power supply (opposite corner from the Arduino).

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The one in the robo is the Arduino Mega 2560
    Not quite a small as an Uno, but not terribly expensive either.

Barry Steenbergh likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree. Start by pulling the RAMPS shield off of the arduino (since that is what has all the wires run to it)
    Then hook the arduino up directly to your computer (it will get power from the USB cable) and see if you can see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.