1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 Information, Installation Guides, and Review

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poplip200

Poplip200 New Member

nvm i took apart the hot end and the person that put together my hot end crushed the thermistor that why it was not working i got the software to install its just is was broken

Geof likes this.
  2. Nathan Elverud

Nathan Elverud New Member

When I use any of the firmware linked to, it goes up too far. When I tell it to raise 10mm it goes a few times higher than that.

I've tried using firmware from robo 3d and changing #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5 and that fixes the previously described problem, but now it prints too close to the bed on the first layer and no filament can come out.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So this problem has nothing to do with the new firmware -- you should post a new thread for troubleshooting that.

It sounds like your Z offset is simply not high enough (not negative enough).

The other issue you cited with the new Marlin firmware is one where you downloaded the wrong set of configuration files which had the incorrect Z steps/mm for your printer. Every one is different... BETA, R1, R1+ (other modifications matter too) each has a different configuration file settings and essentially different firmware.

Geof likes this.
  4. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

LOL! Reminds me of my dad saying how you could fix a Model-T with bailing wire and bubblegum! My my, how technology has changed (yet stays the same)! :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

OK - I've read thru ALL 38 PAGES of this thread and I'm doin' this thing... my questions start at the beginning - identifying my printer. I bought it in NOV 2014.
    I DO have a bottom cover, with the cooling fan attached to it, but this is my ignorance - when talking about rods here, is it the smooth rods or the threaded rods? I DO have smooth rods attached to the top of my printer.

My printer is running ROBO3DR1V2, it does the 9 point auto-level, but what is an auto-level switch?

Another issue is, and I'll try to make a long story short; I quit using my printer a few months after I bought it (long story short) bcuz after extensive troubleshooting it just didn't act right. Fast forward to last fall, I got the 3D Printin' bug again and broke out ol' girl, she wanted a software (firmware?) update right off the bat and I obliged, and PRESTO! She started working like she was supposed to! The moral of the story is - now that I got it working just right, and it was a soft or firmware issue, I am VERY nervous about changing anything in THAT department - sooo I'm still re-cyphering thru all the info about that b4 I bug y'all to make sure I have chosen wisely :)
    Thanx to ALL Y'ALL for ALL yer he'p!!!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is an R1, not a beta, not an R1+

It has autoleveling.

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The switches he was referring to are the TWO Z axis home switches that are under the X crossbar. When the crossbar lifts (because the nozzle has hit the bed) they trigger a Z HOME.

Geof likes this.
  8. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

#748 Sliced Br3D, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The most current version of the R1 firmware is fine (not the R1+ version)

I don't remember what is staged on the dropbox account but it is likely old. Take the current R1 firmware from here:

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

(RoBo3DR1V3)

and use the configuration.H from the dropbox account.

Or better yet, merge in the E3D changes from the one on dropbox.

10. Sliced Br3D

Sliced Br3D New Member

OK, Thanks :) I'll take your advice and see if my printer likes v3, and if not I figured out which v2 to modify and use if I need to revert to it.

11. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

I installed arduino software, etc. The Z-axis rods go to the top (not the threaded) and I have the bottom plate, so I selected the first file that was listed. But when I go to upload, here is the error message I get. What am I doing wrong? Also, I don't see where I am to change the two settings (5, etc.). I have the Robo 3D R1+.

upload_2017-1-28_17-40-18.png

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Check to make sure the correct port is selected. Also check to make sure you don't have any other programs open using the printer (S3D, MC, etc)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly. That error means that the Arduino IDE can't connect to the Arduino.
    Wrong port, or ... worst case, bad Arduino (far less likely).

Geof likes this.
  16. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

So without updating, I did a print last night and turned out good. So do I even need the update? Auto-leveling is working....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread -- You have to update the firmware if you use the E3D thermistor since it is a different thermistor type than stock. Other than that you don't have to change anything if you don't want to.

18. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

Got it finally! Thanks guys for all the help and quick responses.

19. Sarg1

Sarg1 New Member

Just changed out my original print head for the E3D v6 on my ROBO3D plus. Updated the firmware. Tried to print a few things. The result was that the prints are not very solid...... they look like spaghetti. Any ideas???

Attached Files:

20. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You have a plus with the quick release plate? The stock plate won't hold the hotend firmly since the v6 top groove profile is different. So wiggle in the hotend could be one problem. Since you install a new thermistor did you also do a PID tuning on the hotend? Calibrating the extruder might also be need to be checked for over extrusion. Also, did you upgrade the part cooling fan setup at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.