1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Issues Printing with OctoPrint (disconnects)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Keyser, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Keyser

Michael Keyser New Member

Per direction to create a new thread:

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with resend requests that OctoPrint apparently "gives up on" (attempted link - I don't have enough rating) when encountering this.

Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.​

So, while I was trying to speed through some deeper understanding of how Marlin works (I have not updated the firmware on my printer, yet), I figured I may have done this to myself by moving some things around (attempted link - I don't have enough rating) in preparation of mounting my raspberry pi inside my case.

For whatever it's worth, I know I have impacted signal quality in some way by modifying the USB connection. So, I figured that it's on me and I should either undo what I did or at the very least shield the wires; which, I planned on doing either way.

Then, it finally occurred to me run a test by using my PC to print from USB using Simplify3D, like I used to before switching to OctoPrint. It worked just fine.

So, it made me think my issue is one of a couple things:
    1. I modified my USB connection and have ultimately affected USB connectivity to my raspberry pi. Which, would explain why I'm getting failed prints (minutes to hours for it fail) after this change.
    2. Because of the result of # 1, I'm now seeing the messages (that OctoPrint doesn't like) and is apparently a toss-up of it either being Marlin's fault and/or OctoPrint's strictness.
    I can understand why my PC printing would still work, considering I'm supplying a decent amount of power/signal from my USB connection versus what I'm getting with the raspberry pi. So, I'm hoping that if I shorten my USB cable down to about a foot (connection between Arduino and raspberry pi), along with properly shielding the wires I used to move the USB-B PCB extender, I may see improved results with my final configuration/goal.

I'm curious if it's recommended that I upgrade my firmware to go along with the aforementioned.

P.S.

For those who feel inclined to berate me for my hardware modifications, that's fine. I did it for a valid reason and I figured that worse case scenario, I'll just replace it with another Arduino I have laying around.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Specify the model of your printer as well please :)
    Is it the R1 or the R1+ (or a beta)?

3. Michael Keyser

Robo 3D R1+

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no reason to upgrade the printer firmware in any way.

I am a little unclear on what you did to the USB port on the printer/arduino.
    Frankly (my opinion here) I would not worry about the printer USB port.
    We have a delta (SeeMeCNC brand) that we added a Pi running OctoPrint (similar to the Robo in your case) and we have the Pi connected via USB to their version of the Arduino/RAMPS (really a Rambo board, but same idea). Then we connect to the Pi via wifi (pull up the OctoPi image web interface) and we do everything there.

I have occasionally had to connect the machine directly to the Rambo to mess with firmware and ... I loathe having to bother.

You may be running into issues with the power supply. The one in the Robo is not exactly undersized at (approximately) 360w, but there is not what I would call a lot of headroom. You may want to replace that with a bigger unit (400w units are $26 on Amazon) since the Pi can actually be a bit power hungry.

#4 mark tomlinson, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am in the process of adding a Pi to handle the Robos and I will likely do it the same way we did the delta.

(but with an up-sized power supply)

#5 mark tomlinson, Jan 29, 2017
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you are using an older version of Raspbian it could be a kernel issue for the USB. The USB I/O is the weakest part of the RaspberryPi and with older versions of Raspbian you might not be able to maintain connections at 250000 baud. I believe this was completely fixed with Debian Jesse. I am not sure this is your issue but it is something to look at.

#6 WheresWaldo, Jan 29, 2017
  7. Michael Keyser

I can understand where you're not following me on some of scenario (links would've helped, but I was restricted from posting them). That's good to know, though. I already updated the firmware about 30 mins ago. I also dropped the acceleration down to 500 from 1300, just for the hell of it. I saw Novice Expert do it, so I decided to try it. I much prefer that functionality.

I'm not drawing power right off from the power supply. I'm wiring an outlet in parallel with the incoming connection to the power supply. So, I shouldn't be affecting the power supply's capacity in any way.

8. Michael Keyser

I actually did just update everything on the raspberry pi, itself, as well. So, I'm hoping that'll help as well.

I wish I would've had the patience to test each step I completed to determine the actual root cause. I just want this to work... So far...with the print I currently have going, it seems like something(s) fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.