1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Bad print after firmware change

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeff Meador, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

I have a Robo 3D R1 Plus, and over the weekend upgraded to the E3D V6 hotend. When looking at which dropbox to install (e.g. rods that go up to the top with a bottom board, I used the second one with the Auto-leveling option). On my R1+, the Z-axis rod does go all the way to the top but the M8 threaded rods do not. That's why I opted for the auto-leveling program (was that the wrong choice???).

First, without updating the firmware, I did a print of a test box which came out perfect. But someone suggested I do need to update the firmware, so here we go.....

I had issues getting communication with the arduino.cc program and the arduino board, but finally was able to upload. The settings I changed beforehand were: 1) HEATER_0_MAXTEMP to "310", 2) TEMP_SENSOR_0 to "5", and then did a Ctrl-F to find and replace all that were "fpos_t" to "filepos_t".

This am, I tried a print. The layers are stringy and not adhering together. See attachment for what it looks like. Not sure what is going on. I don't have background in coding, etc., so please help with a good explanation. Why would the E3D print fine then with the firmware change it does this? Should I go back to the original? If so, how do I do that? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

which firmware did you use (exactly) and what (if anything) did you edit in CONFIGURATION.H?

Because that looks like you loaded the wrong firmware.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is a single line in the firmware file configuration.h that has something like this:
    The number that is important is the 3rd one, 800 in this case.
    • Original Robo should be 2267.72
    • Early R1 should be 2560
    • R1+Plus should be 800

4. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

The firmware used was this:
    For printers with Auto-level switches that does not have the previously described features, use this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwttayfh59weijf/Robo3dR1V2_E3D.zip?dl=0

In CONFIG.h, I edited the following: 1) HEATER_0_MAXTEMP to "310", 2) TEMP_SENSOR_0 to "5",

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is your problem, completely wrong firmware.

Jeff Meador and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Jeff Meador likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The model names and numbers are confusing. Hopefully going forward they will not be as similar (R1 vs. R1+) frankly if you throw the beta in there with all of the very similar, but not the same hardware configurations .. it is a mess. One they are (hopefully) fixing.

8. Jeff Meador

Jeff Meador New Member

Thank you both. Just updated. Will try printing tomorrow as I added a bit of heat resistant red silicone to the top of the heatsink (similar to the way the hexagon came as). Should give it a bit more stability too for a nice tight fit. Got to wait 24 hrs to cure. Then will test the print.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.