1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Touch Screen Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ammulder, Feb 3, 2017.

1. ammulder

ammulder Member

Just unboxed a new C2.

When using the touch screen, it takes more than one try for it to sense a click. Normally 2 or 3 tries, sometimes as many as 5. I can't tell for sure whether it detects the click and is "thinking about it" or isn't detecting them at all; there's generally no feedback other than it just changing screens to it's pretty hard to tell.

Oddly, the Z-axis calibration wizard seems better -- when I click the "Z+" it seems to register maybe 3 out of every 4 clicks. But then it took about 4 tries before the "Save" registered. And again it took 3 or 4 clicks on "Files" before it brought up the list of files for a test print.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking forward to operating it via the software so I can quit trying to use the touch screen!

2. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

This is a common complaint on the C2. The touch screen is resistive as opposed to capacitive as with a cell phone. On a resistive touch screen the outer layer is pushed onto the inner layer to make contact. Hopefully someone will either locate a better quality screen, or design a mod to utilize a capacitive screen.

3. ammulder

ammulder Member

OK, thanks. Sounds like you're saying "just push harder." :)

4. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either might be difficult as @WheresWaldo has been messing around with that software ... he might have a better feel for that. He has been trying to to get it working on an R1+ rather than the C2, but he might have a feel for how easy swapping the LCD might be (I suspect not easy).

#5 mark tomlinson, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. John M. Fruits

I took my display out as the black front bezel just snaps on.... And put some non conductive shims behind the display. After the bezel is removed, there is 4 screws that hold the display bracket to the bezel. The display is sandwiched in between. The USB connection can be just removed from the board, allowing you to completely remove the bezel.

This did help, as the press is now directly applied to the screen..... not perfect, but did help.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Unless Robo can find one real cheap, don't expect a capacitive screen in any version anytime soon. First the software sections controlling the screen are hard coded to 320 x 240 resolution. Second switching to a capacitive screen requires kernel drivers for Linux and only the display manufacturer supplies those. On top of that it has to be rPi SPI bus compatible.

The PiTFT is such a screen and probably might work if someone wanted to retrofit it but it is only 2.8" not the 3.2" the C2 comes with, it is the correct resolution. Almost all others (with rPi drivers already) are 7" or bigger and much higher resolution which would require a rewrite of some of the underlying software components.

If you are a programmer type, you might be able to contribute code to the original repositories from which Robo forked their versions (there are multiple). You could go straight to Robo's version if they kept their GitHub repository up to date, but alas.

tldr; Push HARDER!

To put some perspective on using resistive touch screens just take a look at all those fancy Pioneer CarPlay receivers. Only the highest end few use a capacitive touchscreen and all the rest are the push harder kind. So, to expect Robo to change to capacitive or to build the R2 with a capacitive touchscreen is wishful thinking.

#7 WheresWaldo, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

I had the same problem and resolved it by just using the eraser end of a pencil. Seems to work fine every time.

9. J_Man

J_Man Member

Yeah this is a slight irritation. It misfires too. I was inputting the wifi password and several times it would select the number on either side instead. That keypad will be a big complaint among customers. At least once the settings are done and you have it running off the computer, the keypad isn't really required to be fiddled with.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The LCD the used (which I managed to find duplicates of them use with our LCD project) is cheap and not very sensitive. Resistive touch ain't all that and a bag of chips... however it was soooo much cheaper.

11. J_Man

J_Man Member

Yeah I think a lot of us were thinking little cell phone style touch screens. You about have to mash it hard enough that the whole keypad visibly moves. Once hooked to the computer and Z axis was set, the need to use the touch pad was pretty well over. So it's not so bad.