1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto bed leveling malfunction robo c2

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PXLGEAR, Jan 15, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Glue the magnet back in place, after it dries either adjust the nuts or put little paper shims between them to get the bed level.

2. ammulder

ammulder Member

OK. I haven't glued the magnet yet, because 1) I was contemplating elmers vs superglue, and 2) I wasn't sure I wanted to alter the height by the thickness of the glue.

But I did put paper shims under all the corners except the highest. I cut out circles the size of the magnet. It was a bit of a pain to place them, but I got it done. First I tried one on the front right and two on each of the back corners, and that was a disaster in the back.

So now I've done one in each of the 3 corners except the front left.

That turned out surprisingly even. Now it's all a bit mashed-in (except, curiously, the skirt), so I'm trying again at offset -5.2 instead of -5.3 and I'll see if I can walk down to a good print everywhere.

Here's the current state:

IMG_9612.JPG

Update: at -5.2, there was just a tiny bit that was too high in the back right. I'll see how the rest of the bed goes and then decide whether to go with -5.2 or -5.3.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ah, manual bed leveling... fun stuff (no it wasn't) I remember the good old days (they sucked).
    I have two printers that started off as Betas I totally feel you.

4. ammulder

ammulder Member

Frankly I want to throw the autoleveling hardware into a lake and just have a few dang thumbscrews. I can level my Replicator 2 in about two minutes whereas I've been working on this thing all afternoon. I'm on my 9th test print I think (just letting it go partially or all the way through the first layer to check out the thickness around the plate).

It would HELP A LOT if there was some way to see the 9 values that the autoleveler observed.

5. ammulder

ammulder Member

OK, the best I can do is single pieces of paper under three corners, -5.3 Z offset, and the first layer looking a little mashed. I can't get -5.2 working without the back-right corner losing grip. The autoleveler seems to overcompensate for any additional paper shims I put in there -- the corner I try to shim up ends up too low.

I'm going to let this job run to completion and see how it goes (13 hours, so I'll know more in the morning).

It would be interesting to create a model of loads of concentric squares from 5" down to like 0.5" so you could print it to check leveling across the bed. If there's one thing this exercise has taught me, it's that printing a tiny test print in the dead center of the bed doesn't really tell you much.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Odd, the R1+ and R1 DO output those values into the GCode terminal... the C2 does not?

7. ammulder

ammulder Member

Hmm. I've only printed via USB stick because I have a Mac and the person who was going to post Cura settings for the Mac hasn't done so yet. I guess if I got Cura going on the Mac and printed over a USB cord then I'd see the GCode output?

Oh... I see there's some output in the Web UI too... I never saw it because you have to click something for it to show. Dang, that might have saved a bit of time. Sigh, learning experiences.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you go to Octoprint and in terminal mode just issue a G28 then G29 without actually printing anything, it will output the numbers into that same terminal screen. Robo did nothing to modify that section of Marlin firmware code.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. ammulder

ammulder Member

Nice! Well, it's busy working on its first overnight job at the moment, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Geof likes this.
  10. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

I'm having similar issues and at the point where I want to try something different for a bed. I'm not sold that a plastic bed isn't going to warp over time and this will be an ongoing problem. Then you have the removal of the bed if the print sticks too much that you can't pry it off which has potential to stress the magnets. Maybe a nice piece of tempered glass with magnets on the back (much like the R1) to have a completely flat surface would do the trick.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I cannot say with certainty what is the configuration of the auto-leveling on the shipping C2 but in Robo3D's GITHUB repository for Marlin firmware, the latest files seem to have turned off BILINEAR bed leveling and gone back to the older LINEAR bed leveling. Linear was used in Marlin 1.0.0 and basically fits a single plane to whatever probe points it measures, Bilinear fits an adjustment plane to each section created by the probe points measured.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is currently not what I would call optimum.
    I would suggest a change to MESH frankly.
    I am going to see about merging their changes into 1.10 when it gets released and do that myself.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson I am not sure any of the changes Robo has made to Marlin code, other than adding a new board specification are necessary, so I would only concentrate my efforts on just adding the board and probably not do RC8 but focus on RCBugFix instead.

Or just hold off until RCBugFix becomes the release and then look at the port of Unified Bed Leveling (UBL).

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All of their edits are in the new pin definition header and configuration.h....
    Not a huge hassle

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not exactly true, at least according to their GIT, there are some changes to Marlin's main code.
    https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/commit/c5a976b88d2b0864a20046121de9683188398bd1
    https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/commit/b056602a3a8b84c7ebebd1a1379f3bc2e8ab2a7c
    https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/commit/488825cb1d88e5f647a7843a4ddb03482554db90

Plus their GIT seems to be based on RC6 and there are significant changes between it and RC8 and by extension RCBugFix. To say it will be trivial would be an underestimation of the work involved.

#35 WheresWaldo, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well, I will wait until we have the new release out into mainstream and I will diff/merge it and see what collisions exist.

The copy they have is no more recent than RC6. I can attest to that.

Some of that is PID tuning constants and the like as well. They ship that already PID tuned to some extent.

#36 mark tomlinson, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. J_Man

J_Man Member

When I first tried setup and didn't realize the bed was bent, I was getting a Z level of 10.9 and of course it was doing wrong. After I bent the bed level and re set the Z axis, I got a 9.2 for the setting. It seems to be perfect. I used blue painters tape to lay out and apparently the sensor sees it. I didn't realize it was optic sensors though so the 5mm above the bed thing was puzzling me too. I assumed it was like the Robo R1 Plus+ that I have where it touches the bed. It seems to be working fine though now that I have bent the bed level. That could be an issue others get and don't realize it. Manually moving the nozzle to each corner of the bed and checking the gap is the only way to be sure. Mine was a good inch and a half off in the front. It was pretty badly bent.