1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved About 20-30 minutes into a print, R1+ shuts down.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terry Reilley, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I just replaced the RAMPS board on my R1+ with a new board from Robo. I initially had some problems with the Y axis and figured out yesterday morning that the stepper motor connector on the board side was flipped in the wrong direction. Now there's a REALLY strange problem where the Robo almost completely shuts down about 20-30 minutes into a print. When I say it shuts down, I mean the following:

1. Stops extruding.
    2. All stepper motors stop moving.
    3. LEDs shut down.

I can disconnect in S3D and the lights come back on. Odd.

I initially saw a "temperature reset" message in the console, but tried it this morning so I could grab the messages and post. That message didn't appear this time, but I. I attached what I have anyway because it may make sense to someone. I'm printing PLA at 210 and bed at 60. 20% dual fans after 1st layer and I know that's not causing it because the failure is long after the fans activate.

I'm going to try this same print again at lunch and stay with the printer, watching the log to see if the temperature is dropping for some reason. This has been very frustrating since my first RAMPS board failed. only to find it was a connector that melted.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the real error is a "temperature fell too much during print" then that is thermistor/hotend/heater core related. Marlin is stupid in how it displays errors like that in that it will NOT repeat the actual error, just a silly message telling you that AN error did in fact occur. You must scroll back through the terminal log to find the actual error.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check the fan on the bottom front right corner. It should run all the time

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

As it turns out, the fan on the bottom was hanging up. I'm going to replace it with a slightly thicker fan that I used for new ducting if it will fit. It's also a high speed fan, Do you guys recommend that the fan blow directly on the board?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My betas have a 3" fan mounted to the side that pulls air across the RAMPS and Arduino and exhausts it from the case.
    As long as it is moving the air out of the case you should be fine. You don't need to blow the air onto the board, blow it out. That way the heated air is exiting the case.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Mine is blowing straight onto the board, but I know some people move it so it blows across the boards.

7. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Awesome - thank you both! I tried mounting a 40mm x 15mm fan in the OEM position, but it's too thick and I can't easily close the bottom up so I have to drop back to a 10mm thick fan. Argh, another Amazon order I have to wait for. At least I have Prime though. Looks like the OEM fan blew directly onto the board. I found a nice 15k RPM fan at that thickness, but that is probably serious overkill.

Do you guys by chance known what the fan connectors are called? There seems to be quite a few different connectors out there. I seriously need to take an electronics course somewhere and learn what all these are called.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Terry Reilley I went a different route, I enlarged the hole in the bottom of the case and mounted a 80 x 80 x 10 mm

9. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Nice!!!

10. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Reading about fans I decided to take a look at mine. I'm not having any issues at this time but was curious.

I found a good sized dust bunny hiding inside the fan that was almost stopping all air flow!!! I think I'll be checking my fan a little more often in the future.

For those of us that are NOT having issues, probably a good idea to get on a regular maintenance schedule.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.