1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Build Plate Glass

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by spankurmonkey, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

So I have only had my printer since December and last night I did a print of some simple airplane wing parts. When I went to remove the parts.. just a simple wiggle to get them to pop off I had three small areas of the glass that chipped away.

I have tried using glue sticks and Aqua Net and I prefer the Aqua Net but never thought it could pull up the glass.

I don't think the areas are that big of a deal to worry about but then I am not sure.. as I continue to print in those areas will the glass keep giving away more and more overtime?

Is there a better solution? I could not find a replacement glass anywhere online.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is a custom sized sheet of Borosilicate glass.

Unfortunately Borosilicate glass does have a tendency to flake like that. Look around the web, this is not a Robo specific problem (but it might explain why they changed up the design in the R2/C2)

You have a few options.

1) Ignore it if you can.
    2) Get a replacement borosilicate glass pane cut and move over the magnets and heater bed
    3) replace the bed with something else like Aluminum (there is at least one other thread on this in the projects/mods sub-forum).
    4) Get a thin sheet of plain plate glass and layer it over the bed. Use that to print on. If it chips or breaks it is cheap to replace.

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I have a small chip too.
    I have found that over time, my "divit" has filled with past print material. So far it has basically self healed. I'm going to keep going as it until things change.

Before that happened, if my model need to be printer on the divot, I used a raft to do the print on top of it.

No need for raft now, I'm watching it carefully for changes.

4. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

have you ever hear of using a tablet screen protector ? I just had another large chunk come out. I have a new bed coming but whats to say it will not happen on that glass too. I am using it as is for now but I have some larger prints that will go over this area so I just expect it to continue to happen.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

it will absolutely happen to the new bed. get 4 binder clips and a piece of glass (window pane) cut at lowes or menards or wherever cuts glass for you (local glass shop a few blocks down gives me scraps I cut down or I find windows or doors on the side of the road:D )

clip that glass on top of your bed and just flip it when it chips

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

Be carefull though if you get glass cause the binder clips will scratch the black off you're new bed not a big deal but if things like that bother you like they do me you at least know know that it will scratch off

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Put a little piece of heater cork on the binder clips ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Rigmarol

Get the plastic clips or ones with rubber ends.
    Lots of options.

9. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I got my new bed from Robo yesterday....

I am pondering if I am doing something wrong by using hairspray thus causing the glass to break away with my prints.

I have lowered the bed temp to 40c for PLA prints but its still come up even after the bed is fully cooled.

What am I a doing wrong ??

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont think your doing anything wrong. its my opinion the glass they use isn't the greatest. Get a piece of window glass cut down and clip it to your bed.

11. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

So there is no harm in using window glass? I did order a heated bed and plate from Gekotek but not sure about that... I thought I could use the plate over and over but seems the plate is only good for up to 100 prints.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Local hardware store, get some window pane glass cut to your size you want. Binder clips to hold it in place.
    Done.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

aboslutley zero harm. I find windows, doors, mirrors, whatever on the side of the road, cut to size clip it on and done. print until it breaks, throw it away and put on another piece (if it just chips I flip it)

14. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

any certain thickness? My local Ace Hardware cuts glass.

15. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Will normal window glass also chip out like the Robo glass bed?

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No, I actually use picture frame glass, the big difference is just thickness between it and window panes. You are not using it to bake so no need for borosilicate glass, even Pyrex hasn't been borosilicate glass in a long time (soda lime glass now) and you can bake with it. Just plain old float glass does not have the tendency to chip like the borosilicate, plus it is very cheap.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  17. Rigmarol

You could also be having trouble because of the kind of hairspray you are using.
    Try a different brand. Look for Extra Hold or something similar. I've had great results using hairspray + PLA + bed temp @45C + Nozzle at 190C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.