1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filament stuck in extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Taylor, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That looks like a clog (the first picture). Make sure you season the new hotend :)
    The hexagon does not have available spare bits (the E3D you can buy any and all parts individually).

A new hex is really cheap if that is an issue (but the E3D is worth the extra cost IMHO). I think @Printed Solid (www.printedsolid.com) still carries these if you are stateside (otherwise you order from E3D and they are in the UK).

The nozzle might have been easier to break loose while hot.

2. woferry

woferry Member

There was a nice picture of the quick-release plate in another thread, so I'll copy it here for reference. See the orange piece below, it's not that color in the newer R1(plus?) units, but that shows how it works, it pivots on the rear screw to release the hotend and needs the front screw released to allow this pivoting.

Since this raises the groove of the hotend by the plate thickness I guess this explains why some have noted that the extruder is more "shallow" on the newer Robos, I ran across this apropos fan shrouds and them being more likely to bottom-out on the bed. Not really any more Z with this design as the whole extruder assembly is raised by the height of this plate as well, it just puts the carriage closer to the bed for the same print Z as compared to the side-screw extruder capture.

[​IMG]

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If it moves it at all it is just the a couple of mm, Since it uses M3 screws to hold it in place and the screws could be riding on the upper edge of the groove, this one fills the entire groove. It is also a more rigid setup than the two screws, even though it is plastic. Pobably a good idea for all Robo's.

4. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

Just had my first Jam. Very similar to woferry's. I was changing spools having printed pretty much the whole test spool of Blue PLA. Thought I would switch to ABS. Right after finishing last print tried to pull the PLA out and it came back a bit and then stuck. Tried preheating to 235 but all I did was snap the filament above the extruder gear. Needle nose just made the bit to grab shorter. After rooting around on here tried to drop the hot end. Took a while to figure out there is one screw and a quick release plate. (Thanks for the pic link Mike) Mine looked exactly like woferry's. Ended up separating the heater and nozzle from the hex holder and then was able to extract offending piece. All back together now and printing test cube as we speak heres a pic of the offending piece of PLA notice the bulge on the end. Also noted some weird clear stuff coming out before the ABS made it through. Thought I heard PLA was sugar based. perhaps decomposed PLA ?
    Sorry for your hassles woferry but thanks for posting...it helped prevent me doing the same. I was prett close to wrenching on the nozzle!
    Anyhow back up and printing cal cube in ABS.
    Thanks
    VM IMG_4656.JPG

5. celebritas

celebritas New Member

I have the same issue after change the extruder. I've found the one screw and the tab, but I can't loosen it. Should I hit the extruder for it?
    My screw stuck. Forever. Nobody can unscrew it.

#25 celebritas, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The Mjolnir of screws?

Time to find your thor who's strong enough to undo a screw!

7. Michael Keyser

Michael Keyser New Member

Exactly what I needed. Thank you. I was using the blue sample filament that came with the printer. I guess I'll save it for last case scenario stuff in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.