1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Shipping update?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by supernovae, Jan 8, 2017.

1. supernovae

supernovae Member

Any updates on the R2? Forum and kickstarter has been quiet regarding the R2 and as far as I can tell the R2 hasn't even gone to production yet and the last update to website pushed in back to late February for preorders.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That may be a better question for robo directly. They don't frequent the forum, maybe try their social media outlets

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The stuff is all coming from Asia anyway which means there is a fixed lead time.
    If they tweak production with changes that adds to the delay.

They can probably give you a better guess than any of us here :)

Geof likes this.
  4. supernovae

supernovae Member

Found a video they posted on Facebook recently. They're not expecting to start deliveries of R2 until March. I'm going to cancel my order and wait it out a bit. I was hoping to have it available for some robot prototyping during last half of FRC build season but its obviously not "Late January" from when i made my order anymore... i can wait out the first rev units of first batches and let them work out the kinks.. (and i'm not interested in giving a free loan to a public company)

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont know that you can back out of the kickstarter now that its closed. Yes its unfortunate that its not a coupon/discount like they said, but instead a machine that was literally just a kickstarter, but thats the ropes when backing on kickstarter :D. Kind of a get what ya get type of deal.

Its likely someone would buy your backing?

6. supernovae

supernovae Member

I just had a regular pre-order, not kickstarter. When i ordered in December It was on the late January delivery timeline which fit my project schedule, but i'll need to find another printer to use for the time being.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah gotya. The r1 + was a good machine but there are alot better at the price point these days

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that is the thing. The first one (the beta) was a killer deal at the price point (at least back then it was)

They need to get the R2 features to where it is also a great deal at its price point.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems like they sold the crap out of a machine that didn't exist yet lol. I was suprised since my opinion is there are alot better machines at the R2 price point as well ;)

10. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Geof - I'm curious which machines you feel are better than the R2 at its price point, and what attributes make them a better value.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats probably a better discussion for your own thread and not this one if you'd like opinions on the R2 set up.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A lot of these sales are based on aesthetics, Robo has done a good job making it look good. Some backers will deny that looks play a roll but not everyone wants the look of a Prusa Mk2 even if it might perform better. You have to factor that in also as part of the appeal to the C2/R2.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  13. ammulder

ammulder Member

If I'm going to be honest, I REALLY would have preferred a Prusa i3 Mk2.

But the thing is, I don't want to wait 9 weeks, and I have a MicroCenter nearby. I was looking over the 1-2 year old models they have. The stuff I mainly want to print by all accounts comes out better with Cura than with slic3r, which eliminated a bunch of them. One didn't look to have a 5x5 bed which is about my practical minimum (I need fire and forget overnight print jobs). On the other hand, I don't especially need a larger bed than that, because I'm not looking for 24-hour print jobs. And I only print PLA for now.

In the end, they said the C2 was the most recent model they had, and used Cura and the box claimed Mac support (oops, a little fib). I figured I'd try "the latest" and see what you get these days. And that's how I ended up here.

I have 12 more days to decide whether this is going to be "the one". :)

But yeah, the Mac support, and the "plug and play"... not so much.

14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, until a heated bed upgrade is included with the C2 it isn't worth the money. No 3d printer in the year 2017 has an excuse for not having one.

supercazzola likes this.
  15. Jeff Uberstine

@mark tomlinson Is there any way you can create a Robo R2 area in the forums, so R2 posts don't need to go in the C2 section?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. But @Harry can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

17. Jeff Uberstine

@Harry It would be great if you could. I just think it would make sense to have that section for R2 pre-orders and general R2 questions.

Rigmarol, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. supernovae

supernovae Member

Shipping date now says late march.. ouch.. glad i canceled pre-order.. 4 month free loan? pass. still intrigued to see it in action though but slightly disheartened by the appearance of launch as in coming somewhat soon vs reality of not having even been sent off to mfr..

19. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Just be glad you didn't go for a kickstarter for it in 2014 when the R2 was originally slated for release.

EDIT: Not saying I did, but just imagine how frustrating that would have been.

20. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

So here we are late may. I just ordered mine and I'm thinking I may have jumped the gun a little.