1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered c2 Resolution

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by countfrogula, Feb 19, 2017.

1. countfrogula

countfrogula New Member

What is the highest resolution in microns the c2 can do out of the box? I am currently using the M3D micro, not crazy about the results. They are capable of 50 microns, but its hard to get a clean print from it.

Can I use any 1.75 filament with it?

What third party software is compatible? I have simplify 3d and octoprint installed.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. according to the box the C2 can get to 20 micron. Simplifiy 3d and octoprint will both work with the C2. @mark tomlinson may be able to answer more thoroughly as he has a C2

Rigmarol likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not swapped over the smaller nozzle yet so I have not tried really small layers, but there is nothing on the C2 that makes it any different from the R1, R1+, etc for resolution.

If you want to get 50 microns then you want a nozzle size of probably 0.25 mm (the rule of thumb is to keep the layer height in the range of 30% - 70% of the nozzle diameter). You will also need to print quite slow.

People have pushed the stock nozzle (0.4mm) to as low as 50 micros on the R1 series machines with acceptable results. However for best results you are going to need to adjust nozzle sizes.

We use a 0.25 on the machine we normally run high resolution prints on (0.1mm layer heights or smaller) and it works lovely. We are in the process of swapping the C2 over to be that "detail" printer since it has a smaller bed.

#3 mark tomlinson, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Rigmarol likes this.
  4. Jeff Uberstine

I printed at 60 microns with my C2 and it looked pretty good. Not sure about any smaller than that.

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. countfrogula

countfrogula New Member

Thanks for the replies, the c2 is looking like my best option right now. Just gotta budget out for the purchase. STill running a few tests on my m3d, not getting my hopes up on that though.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you routinely need the lower layer heights make sure you get and install a smaller nozzle to start with.
    You will get better results at the cost of longer print times.

If you don't need it routinely then see what results you get with the slower speed and lower layer heights on the default nozzle. May be good enough.

Geof and Rigmarol like this.