1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered C2 Nozzle exchange

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Luke W, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Luke W

Luke W New Member

the tech specs on the website say the C2 has a "Quick Change Nozzle"

Is it really the nozzle that is quick change? I seem to remember from some of the videos that it was the whole hot-end/extruder assembly that had the quick release.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am not sure what they mean by "quick change"
    All of the nozzles on all of the hotends are pretty much the same regardless of machine.
    The entire extruder could be relatively quickly swapped out if you had a spare from Robo with their connectors.

The process for changing a nozzle is exactly the same as all of the others as far as I can tell. It involves two wrenches, some heat and patience :)

Luke W and Geof like this.
  3. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Mark - Since you've added a second extruder to the C2: Would it be possible to have a 0.4mm and a 0.2mm on the same machine so you could easily switch resolutions? Perhaps switch resolutions on the same print if the model were constructed properly? Just wondering.

Rigmarol likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, you could certainly configure the extruders physically that way.
    Slicing it so that it would print with either as a primary? Not sure on that.
    One is going to come up as extruder 1 and the other as extruder 2.
    Slicing it with extruder 1 as primary is the normal course of events..
    My multiple extruder slicing skills are ... rudimentary :)

I am not certain you could pick one or the other as primary. I could look into that once I get it finished (this weekend I will have the connectors).

I suspect it would be up to the slicer to make that call. I will look into it regardless.

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I found this thread with regards to making extruder#2 the primary via software using T0 & T1 commands with offsets (this is for Slic3r )
    http://www.soliforum.com/topic/10372/dual-extruders-and-g-codes-help/

What I envision is having a model with a small area of raised text. Only the text needs the higher resolution. Design the model as if it were for a 2-color print. Except instead of switching colors, you're switching to a higher resolution (smaller nozzle) extruder to print the letters. I believe some slicers will permit changing layer height mid-print, so maybe it's possible.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well that would be doable with a standard dual-extrusion setup. You are not really changing the primary extruder, you are just switching which one is doing what (i.e. switching from extruder 1 to extruder 2). That is normal for multi-extrusion whether it is color-change or material-change or whatever.

You would need to model it and slice it with that in mind.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Most people do high resolution on the shell and big layers for the infill. Dual extrusion is really only practical for multi material or support types. Multiextrusion takes for....ev....er...to print. It's faster to paint if you want just two colors :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I'm pretty much doing this with a single extruder R1. S3D, 2 processes. Stop 1st process after background is done, continue with process 2 at that final height after changing nozzle and filament.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

9. Robert55

Robert55 Member

10. mlbailey

mlbailey New Member

I don't know about everyone else, but I have yet to be able to change my 0.4mm nozzle on my Robo C2. I've tried twice to unscrew the nozzle and have broken two hotends attempting it. I would like to try a 0.2mm nozzle, but I just can't seem to get the nozzle off without breaking the hotend. And yes, I preheated the hotend to temp before attempting to unscrew the nozzle :S

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What is breaking?
    You have to hold the heater block with one wrench while you turn the nozzle with the other (and yes -- hot).

The only part that could break in that scenario is the nozzle itself and that should not happen unless you just got really unlucky with a defective nozzle.

If you do not hold the heater block then yes -- the heat break will likely (...wait for it...) break :)

12. mlbailey

mlbailey New Member

The nozzle is breaking off instead of screwing out. But, yes, I am holding the block with a wrench while turning the nozzle. I've now gone through 2 Robo C2 hotends :(

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How hot are you getting it before trying to loosen it?
    That is probably a manufacturing defect ... if you heat them up they will break loose before they break normally:)
    Seriously though even if you did not heat it as high as I would suggest (240-ish) then it should not break like that.

14. mlbailey

mlbailey New Member

I heated it to 230 using the built in preheat script.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That should have been good enough, really anything north of 200 will work, but in the event they are tightening them hotter you may want to try going to 250c next time. It still should not make that drastic of a difference, not sure it this is a bad batch of extruders or what. Hopefully they will sort it out. I have two on mine -- one from Robo and one from Amazon (but both hexagons) and have swapped the nozzles on both with no real issues.

16. mlbailey

mlbailey New Member

Can you give me the link for the hotend you bought on Amazon? I'm not buying another one from Robo.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member