1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Time for Aluminum bed.

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by KTMDirtFace, Sep 5, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Interesting.... Thank you.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Heater showed up :)
    [​IMG]

Don't have time to work on it for a few days though.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My bed has chipped finally in inconvenient places, i have the machine cutting me a 1/8" plate to clip on top. Curious what happens :) keep us posted on your progress !

4. KTMDirtFace

Ok eletric guru's what gauge wire should I use? I think i need a couple small bits to go from the solid state to the powersupply/AC input.

I havn't had time to hook this new heater up.

Also Jim? i believe it was posted earlier that I should mount the solid state to metal. it has a metal back..but everything is plastic inside the robo bottom.

Should I buy a flatbar of aluminum and stick it to that? or I have seen heatsinks on ebay for the solid state relay I have but then I don't think it would fit under the robo.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ive always ran 4 16 guage wires. Seems to work well. Bigger is always better, but you want the flex

6. KTMDirtFace

I might have some Deans Wet Noodles from my RC stuff that will work and is super flexy. Thanks; I think its 12..

Geof likes this.
  7. Electonic

Electonic Member

Hey @KTMDirtFace! I have a cracked bed and I'm looking to replace it much like you did. How is your bed holding up?

Thanks!

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Well now, one more chip in the glass bed and it's time for me to order a new build plate. I am going to an aluminum bed finally. Need to make this just a bit more robust Will need to check on MIC-6 pricing.

Rigmarol, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. danzca6

Midwest steel has 16% off through the 1st

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I was going to check with them first. ATP5 10 x 15 x .25 if that will work. I already have a few pieces of cheap window pane glass to put on the top.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Finally broke down and swapped my bed for a aluminum one. Decided to cheap out and went with 3/16" 6061 Aluminum sheet. The hardest part was moving the heater pad from my old bed to the new one. Just waiting on the JBWeld used to hold the magnets to harden then I'm back to printing.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. danzca6

Looking forward to hearing how well that works out for you. Don't forget to post a pic or two ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Mine looks just like @KTMDirtFace so no pictures. I still need to pick up a pane of glass cut to fit at Lowes, but I have printed a few things on the Aluminum bed directly. And it is much firmer than the borosilicate glass bed. and it must be a hair flatter that the glass when heated, since my MESH leveling grid is not nearly off as much as before. I did the leveling at a bed temp of 100°C.

I am loving this mod. I also took a 3M scuff pad and de-shined (is that a real word?) the bed surface just a little.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  14. KTMDirtFace

I havn't used my printers in months, my robo with aluminum bed is still sitting as it was months ago.

Started working on them tonight finally. I just have so many other hobbies I have a hard time keeping all my hobbies going at the same time. winter time is the worst for me because I'm out snowmobiling and tinkering on that.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So that explains your absence.

16. KTMDirtFace

Pretty much... this has been taking up my time on the weekends now.. trying to get it installed.

Need to 3d print a mount of some sort for my engine temp gauge... so i'm trying to get my printers going again. lol

[​IMG]

Rigmarol likes this.
  17. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Send us your file and we'll print it for you, Winter is going FAST let's get you up and running NOW!!!!

18. KTMDirtFace

I havn't got that far yet lol.

So I did turn my R1+ back to stock"ish" i plan to sell it, but its having extrusion problems..nozzle I think, kinda puts out a pathetic stream that curls onto itself..

I'm working on my original one now with the aluminum bed and titan going to get it going with no heated bed for the time being. Because I printed Yogi's titan mount, changed motors.. I can't even remember what else. going to make sure it prints before I hook up my heater of death.

edit: my fabricator mini still prints like a champ. bone stock.

#58 KTMDirtFace, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  19. KTMDirtFace

Yay its working.

My original R1 with aluminum bed ( no bed heater at the moment, I have one to install just havn't done it )

Aluminum bed, with blue painters tape.. PLA test.

Titan Extruder, Yogi's mount. LM8U bearings.. I gave up on the fancy brass bushings style ones. too much binding no matter what I did, my rods must not be straight. I could always get them to run super smooth on one rod, but massive binding when 2 rods involved so I gave up on them.

I'll work on installing my bed heater this week finally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace I went with cheap class bed over the aluminum, works perfect and no need for painters tape. I used the small binder clips from OfficeDepot to hold the glass to the aluminum.

SPyKER, danzca6 and KTMDirtFace like this.