1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Detached wire from heating pad

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kingbob, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

So after a recent failure i had my printer apart replacing wiring, and after re-assembly i noticed one of the wires to the heater pad under the bed had come off.

Before i scrape off the red gasket glue stuff and re-solder it, is there anything i should be aware of?
    Can I just simply re-solder it?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, resolder it.
    Flux and a hot iron help a lot (large copper pads absorb heat)

#2 mark tomlinson, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent broken a wire but when I do for the sake of uptime...I'll just replace the heater :D

4. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Yeah was able to resolder it OK. The actual wire itself seems to be quite cheap, solder would barely stick to it without flux. Plus its very rigid wire. I'm tempted to re-wire the bed with some nice flexible silicon wire, given the movement of the bed i'm surprised a wire hasnt broken before.

In the last few weeks i've had a RAMPS board die, a bed thermistor wire break, a bed FET die, a RAMPS board capacitor crack, the connector under the bed melt, an endpoint switch wire come loose, a firmware snafu, and then this! LOL

Admittedly i have been thrashing the printer lately, but i'm going through my spare parts like crazy!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It happens :)

I suspect the stiffer wire was a reaction to the bed heater issues they went through that involved some flaming boards/wire harnesses.
    They rather over-engineered it in response (removed the connectors too) but I suppose better safe.

6. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Yeah i think my printer is a relatively early model. Not kickstarter early, but soon after they were available retail. Version with the blue LEDs.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would be an R1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.