1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print Adhesion

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by John M. Fruits, Feb 6, 2017.

1. John M. Fruits

Just thought I would share what is working for me.....

I have two Robo C2's, running Build-Tak stickers on the build plate.

They do not currently sell 5.5 x 5.5 stickers, so I purchased the 6.5 x 6.5, and cut an inch off both sides.

Here is how I set the Z-Offset.

I bring the nozzle up to where it just grabs a yellow sticky note. Tight enough that I obviously feel it when I slide it back and forth, but not too tight that the sticky won't move. Then I hit the Z minus three times.

This gives me great adhesion during the build, yet It will come off with the slight flexing of the build plate.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Perfect way to do the paper leveling!

3. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

Do you find that the Z-Offset has to be re-done every couple of prints? Secondly, is your raft "sticking" to the build? I've yet to get a raft that I don't have to pry/scrape off and if it's a "tall print" i've yet to get the raft to separate from the build.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Raft adhesion is a function of the slicer. Often it is difficult to remove a raft from the part... Years ago Simplify3D (for example) used to really weld them to the model... but in recent years it has gotten a lot better at it. If the extruder is printing too hot then you get excessive inter-layer adhesion and that makes it harder to remove too. You can adjust/fine tune some of the slicer settings around rafting if you want to experiment with it.

Hwever ... even needing a raft should be rare -- only in cases of a tall slender print should you need one. Something that has not enough base on the build plate to adhere well with motion.

Z offset should never change unless you do something that mechanically changes the extruder (like a different nozzle or work on the extruder).

5. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

To be honest, I haven't gotten anything to totally "stick" especially on the corners. I've tried hair spray, glue stick, and even tried using painters tape vs the default tape shipped. I have been using the "default" setting in Cura and maybe that is my issue. I've found that if I don't use a raft the 1st layer definitely doesn't "stick" and I end up w/a mess. Maybe it is moving to fast on that first layer and that can be adjusted somewhere, i'm not sure.

For the Z offset, I set it from the touch screen and the first print is fine (z wise)..a follow-up print after that always results in the nozzle being to low and it will literally drag on the plate bed. If I reset the Z again, it sets the EXACT same offset, and then it prints fine.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You don't need to run the wizard to tweak it. You can manually adjust it up/down 0.01 increments in the LCD to fine tune it.

I did the paper method a few times and then manually tweaked it down another fraction to dial it in.

otherwise, yea... you are going to need to go with a raft :)

Not a disaster.

Rigmarol likes this.
  7. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

I looked at the slicer software and loaded the profiles per the instructions and I noticed that the PLA filament default that is loaded is 2.5mm where as my PLA is 1.75mm. I just changed it and doing a print now. That being said, anyone know how to see the "built in" settings, e.g. if you use a USB drive and slice on the robo?

8. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

10 minutes into the build and I can already tell you it's a totally different print experience. The layers are tight, print is smooth, and it's probably the best print I've had. Note to self, CHECK PLA FILAMENT SIZE before printing.

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.