1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraser Simpson

Fraser Simpson New Member

OK, so maybe this is the right place and maybe it isn't for this question...... please let me know if I need to move or remove this, but I adjusted the config as you say and uploaded the firmware and everything seems to have taken OK, apart from my full graphic display.... is doing the below....... seems like it was OK when it start initially, and then goes a bit mental...... is there something I've missed ? used to work with the much older firmware.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Fraser Simpson
    In an effort to make the LCD use as little resources as possible, after all printer firmware should focus on printing as fast as possible. The Marlin devs compressed the code and sped up the writing to the LCD, that will cause some corruption on LCD screens that may be slightly out of specifications (like so many Chinese parts) there is a setting that can be changed in Configuration_adv.h that will adjust this timing. Look for the following line:
    Code:
      #define DOGM_SPI_DELAY_US 5  //--BH
    And change it to this
    Code:
      #define DOGM_SPI_DELAY_US 10  //--BH
    Here is a description of that function:

3. Fraser Simpson

Awesome, thanks heaps. I'll give this a go :D

4. Fraser Simpson

Yep you were spot on. I thought I had a "good" controller with the Reprap version but I guess most are technically cheap Chinese parts)..... Much better now at 10 instead of 5 as you can see below.

20170223_123240.jpg 20170223_121127.jpg

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Mine works at 5 µsec but I might change the default in the next set of files to 7 µsec just to be on the safe side.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Starting with most likely the files available on March 15th I am going to drop the TR8*8 lead screw version as I have now found a cheap source for TR8*2 lead screws. I have updated the instructions on the alternative lead screw upgrade thread to point at the new lead screws. Two big advantages, using these lead screws instead of the original links drops the parts cost (from China) top nearly one half of what it was originally. Second, it will provide finer detail in the Z Axis. Currently the R1+Plus can move Z up at a rate of 0.02 mm per step. The R1+Plus uses integraterd linear steppers with a TR8*4 size/pitch, these new one will drop that to 0.01 mm per step allowing you to slice in any layer height you want and not just in even sizes.

So the last set of files I will include will be for TR8*2 lead screws.That requires a step parameter of 1600 instead of the current 400 for the TR8*8.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix as of March 2, 2017. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_R1_03-01 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_03-01 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_TR88_03-01 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.1 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    7. Some other stuff
    New - Configurable zigzag nozzle wipe function

New - Set timeout interval for LCD screen

New - Heating status now displays which extruder is currently heating

New - Double-clicking the encoder wheel jumps to baby-stepping (enabled)

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to these current RCBugFix files.

#1007 WheresWaldo, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix as of March 2, 2017. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_R1_03-01 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_03-01 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_TR88_03-01 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.1 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn, where n.nn is the amount of offset from the bed. M565 and M851 support are not supported in this version of Marlin.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/25 probe points (5 x 5 grid)
    5. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    6. MESH adjustment heights configured to prevent fractional micro-steps
    New - Configurable zigzag nozzle wipe function

New - Set timeout interval for LCD screen

New - Heating status now displays which extruder is currently heating

New - Double-clicking the encoder wheel jumps to baby-stepping (enabled)

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to these current RCBugFix files.

#1008 WheresWaldo, Mar 1, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

New files uploaded

@Fraser Simpson, the LCD refresh is set to 7 µsec (up from 5 µsec), if you still have issues just change it back to 10 µsec as outlined in a previous message.

@Ed Ferguson, they still haven't implemented auto saving of the MESH so you may need to do it again, although my understanding is that if the EEPROM level hasn't changed then all the settings in EEPROM remain valid even after a reflash.

@danzca6, I think you will like the new double-click straight to baby-stepping feature, I also think the configurable LCD timeout affects whether or not you have enough time in this screen without jumping back to the main menu.

Everyone please note that I only test compilation with the latest version of the Arduino IDE, currently 1.8.1. You should also read all values from memory and resave them to EEPROM if you have modified anything (M502 followed by M500). Take to time to go through the PID routines for both the bed and the hotend, you will get more consistent temperatures. Even though this firmware will be much closer to actually extruding the amount you ask for it may also be a good idea to follow the steps necessary to do an extruder calibration.

#1009 WheresWaldo, Mar 2, 2017
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson and others, If there is a valid MESH saved in EEPROM and you flash this new firmware, the MESH values will still be in EEPROM. You can verify their existence by issuing either a G29 or G29 S0. Once you are satisfied that the MESH values are there, you may notice that the terminal screen may also indicate that the State is OFF. In order to re-enable MESH wihout going through the entire leveling routine again, simply execute an M420 S1, it should respond with Bed Leveling On. You can verify this again by issuing a G29 and looking at the State parameter. Just to make sure you might also then execute an M500 to be 100% certain it is saved back to EEPROM.

Ed Ferguson and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Need someone to verify this. Supposedly if you are heating the extruder the LCD should display "E0 Heating.." or "E1 Heating...", etc. depending on which extruder you are heating. For use it should be only E0 but all I am seeing is the letter S on the status line. Has anyone else seen this?

12. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

Im having a couple of issues. 1 when heating the extruder, if i have the temp set to say 240, it will heat up to past 250 and then drop to 230 then start heating again. It took about 5 min of this before the print would start.

and then my bottom line on the display during this reads "h 1m 9089s"

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like you need to do a PID tuning.
    The problem could be the heater core itself getting weak.

I don't think this is firmware related unless everyone is having similar issues.

The LCD Issue does sound firmware specific :)

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The next set of files will have a fix for the bad status line on the LCD screen, I won't be uploading it until the 16th or so. If you want to use it now, just download the zip from GitHub and replace Configuration.h, Version.h, _Bootscreen.h and Configuration_adv.h from the files in messages #1007 and #1008.

#1015 WheresWaldo, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  16. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

can someone tell me what I need to do to get the temp status lights working on this firmware? I get the error of

Code:
    #error "TEMP_STAT_LEDS requires STAT_LED_RED_PIN or STAT_LED_BLUE_PIN, preferably both."

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I think @danzca6 got the LEDs to work but looking at the error I believe you need to tell it what pins you are connecting to. In Configuration.h look for this section:
    Code:
    // Support for an RGB LED using 3 separate pins with optional PWM
    //#define RGB_LED
    #if ENABLED(RGB_LED)
      #define RGB_LED_R_PIN 34
      #define RGB_LED_G_PIN 43
      #define RGB_LED_B_PIN 35
    #endif
    The LEDs are disabled by default or maybe it's this
    Code:
    // Temperature status LEDs that display the hotend and bed temperature.
    // If all hotends and bed temperature and temperature setpoint are < 54C then the BLUE led is on.
    // Otherwise the RED led is on. There is 1C hysteresis.
    //#define TEMP_STAT_LEDS

18. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

I have
    Code:
    #define RGB_LED
    #if ENABLED(RGB_LED)
      #define RGB_LED_RED_PIN 5
      #define RGB_LED_GREEN_PIN 4
      #define RGB_LED_BLUE_PIN 6
    #endif
    and
    Code:
    #define TEMP_STAT_LEDS
    its when i un-comment the #define TEMP_STAT_LEDS I get the error.

Dave1975 likes this.
  19. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I'm getting compiling errors with 1.8.1. For the Mega 2560 board.

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows Store 1.8.1.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Arduino\Marlin\Marlin.ino:45:110: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory

#include <U8glib.h> // library for graphics LCD by Oli Kraus (https://github.com/olikraus/U8glib_Arduino)

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

20. crombiecrunch

crombiecrunch New Member

You need to add this library

go to

sketch
    include library
    manage libraries
    and then search for U8G

Robert55 likes this.