1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Extruder Stepper Motor Skipping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by coombs, Mar 2, 2017.

1. coombs

coombs New Member

Hello all,

My stepper motor on the extruder gears is skipping. I posted a thread about this already and the suggestions were to swap the stepper controller with another axis, so I did. I also tried tuning the controller. Still skips. I assumed that the motor was bad, so I bought a brand new one and just swapped it out. SAME PROBLEM!!!!

Any other ideas? Why could possibly make the wheels skip like this?

Here's a video of it messing up:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In order of how likely each one is (1 being most likely):

1) Bad stepper driver or out of tune stepper driver
    2) bad stepper
    3) bad ramps
    4) bad arduino

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That's it. All that controls the steppers :)
    I suppose if something were binding up the gears in the GregsWade it would skip like that, but if you can manually turn the gears with the printer turned off that is not the issue.

4. Quest

Quest Member

I don't know, but to me it looks like the nozzle is to close to the bed in those spots.
    What dose it do if you let it run to the 2nd layer?

5. coombs

coombs New Member

It skips even if I run the extruder with no filament running through it and raised well off the bed. I don't want to replace the RAMPS board. That doesn't sound cheap. And with my luck, it won't fix the problem!!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Swap in a different stepper and see if it skips. By that I mean (easiest way) is to swap the connection on the RAMPS board for the extruder stepper to another stepper axis (like X or Y) and see if it skips there. If the same motor skips with completely new circuitry I think it safe to say the stepper is bad.

8. coombs

coombs New Member

Oh, that is pretty cheap!! I live in Canada, so hopefully I can find a similarly priced one here. I already replaced the stepper with a brand new one I ordered from Robo.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you are left with bad electrical bits somewhere in there. You have pretty much ruled out the stepper motor, the stepper driver... only the other bits are left :)

It really is usually the stepper driver.

Geof likes this.
  10. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

Mine was doing the exact same thing, only not quite as bad. It ended up being a short in the wires where they are wire tied to the extruder mount. The wires were rubbing on the bolt head. I cut the tie and fanned the wires out. Everything is perfect now. Taped up my wires and I'm good. Good luck.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

I'm not sure if you solved your issue. I just started having this problem today on my refurbished one. Looking closely, it looks likely they tightened the bolt to much on the big gear. My bearing looked like crap and basically was exploded. Current just replaced them both and much better already.

12. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

I had problems at the connector on the motor. I ended up putting in new extruder motors that don't have a plug. They're wired all the way back to the board and it's been awesome ever since. I had connection issues longer than I realized.

13. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Good to know. If mine starts having issues again, I'll probably go that route as well. I built a CNC from a kit, how hard can it be?

Shane Simino likes this.