1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo C2 and Robo R2 Smart 3D Printers

Discussion in 'ROBO 3D News and Announcements' started by ROBOLabs, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

The plan from the beginning was to begin shipping the R2 two months after the C2 first shipment. The next update to the R2 backers is supposed to refine that estimate.

2. fredm

fredm Member

so are the R@ machines still on schedule to ship in January?
    looking forward to see some reviews.

3. supernovae

supernovae Member

Last I heard was that it would be early february. Can't wait to get mine.

4. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share an update. Please check out the following announcement for more info about the R2:

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20170116/pdf/43fbcq20tyhgj0.pdf

We just got back from CES, where the R2 won an Innovation Award. The feedback we got from everyone at the show about the C2 and R2 was very positive, with lots of folks noting the aesthetics as a differentiating factor between our machines and those of our competitors. We hope our supporters enjoy the effort we've put into our C2 and R2 printers.

5. supernovae

supernovae Member

Pretty neat. As a consumer though, Pre-orders shouldn't be pay up front if they're not even sent off to manufacturing yet and not part of a kickstarter discount.. I would have left my pre-order open if it would have been billed on shipment but instead I cancelled it when it was announced it won't ship until march. (and since i paid it in full on my credit card i have a weird -1449 balance lol)

I look forward to seeing the prints.. aesthetics are cool, but 1200+ bucks should be about print performance.. i don't carry around my 3d printer as a fashion statement :)

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  6. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

I totally agree about the pre-order. There is no way I'm going to pre-order something and pay in full. They took in a lot of peoples money and I was blown away when at CES they thought they had a manufacturer. Are you kidding me? You didn't have one all along. This has been a long time coming, you collected a lot of money from kickstarter (twice), then taking pre-orders for 100% down, and you've gone public. That's a lot of money always up front. I hope they can transition to a regular way of doing business.

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Wow this is hilarious! @supernovae hit it right on the nose. I guess for $1200, it's a pretty paper weight or hat weight lol. The pictures I have seen of the C2 prints are not that spectacular, even compared to a R1+. So how do the printers compare to another printer in that price range? That's what I would like to see. I bet a Prusa MK2 or, like I said before, even a R1+ would have similar prints for half the cost.

Shane Simino likes this.
  8. Braydon ROBO 3D

Braydon ROBO 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Guys,

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out. We had been gearing up Foxconn for a while but did not have a formal agreement signed so we were not able to announce the partnership, but we have already been making our injection mold tooling and buying components to get production going.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That is an interesting choice of words.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Since when is a partnership announcement necessary to fulfill orders? Was the kickstarter predicated on partnering up with another company?

Kilrah and Shane Simino like this.
  11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

12. regor

regor Member

It's really a $1499.99 printer. Glad I backed out of the kickstarter and went for the original prusa i3 mk2. I really think for $1499.99 you can get a better known printer. We really know nothing about the R2, except lip service!

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is a larger version of the C2 it will be ... really sweet.
    I am not sure I can say it will be worth that much, but it will be far better than the R series.

Compared to the other printers I have and have used, the C2 is a nice upgrade in terms of ease of use.
    Is it plug-and-play? No, not quite, but it is about the closest I have seen in this price range.

All guesswork until we see what the R2 includes.

Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.
  14. Ed Ferguson

Based on descriptions from Robo, and pre-production pilot manufacturing photos provided to us R2 Kickstarter backers, the R2 is basically a C2 with larger x,y,z axis and of course a bigger enclosure. Other main differences are a larger display, a heated bed, a camera, and a front door on the enclosure. As far as cost, I paid $1,000 as an early backer. Based on the current cost of an R1+, the $300 difference was a no-brainer. Is it worth the $1,500 list price? I think that answer needs to wait until the R2 has a chance to get reviewed and compared to other printers. So far I'm encouraged by the sample prints posted by several C2 owners.

#174 Ed Ferguson, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  15. Ed Ferguson

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Anyone know why every video like this that Robo does is vertically mirrored? Notice his shirt says "odor"...I think that is hilarious. Something stinks here. Bahaha! I wonder if he's using the front camera on his iPhone.

Geof likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It could be as simple as that :)

danzca6 likes this.
  18. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Anyone else just get that text message? R2 Shipping soon!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  19. Ed Ferguson

Kickstarter update to R2 backers yesterday, April 13, shows photo of 10 R2's just received in San Diego from Foxconn. Message says they are working very well. Surveys have been received by backers to confirm/update their addresses for shipping. No indication of how those first 10 units will be distributed. I would expect Robo to keep a couple and divide the rest between their own pre-orders and Kickstarter commitments.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Wait, only 10 units?

Kilrah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.