1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Any advice on improving overhangs?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by duke, Mar 12, 2017.

1. duke

duke New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm printing what is essentially a sphere using PLA on Robo R1+ in Simplify3D. The bottom part of it, which is in contact with support material, comes out rather bad (see the attached image). The outermost perimeter of each layer doesn't really adhere to anything at first, and comes out wavy and disjointed from the middle perimeters. The biggest problem, though, is that sometimes parts of the layer start curling up instead of laying down on the support material. This curling slowly spreads in length and accumulates, sometimes to several mm in height. Soon you can hear the extruder literally slamming into these curled up perimeters and making a mess. The highlighted region in the attached photo shows the result of this.

So does anyone with more printing experience than me have advice on how I can improve my overhangs and avoid the perimeters curling up? From what I read, the perimeters curling is almost always because the filament is not cooling fast enough. My fan is already set to 100%, so is my only option to try reducing extruder temperature?

Here are my support material settings:
    Support mat. infill 35%
    Horz. offset from part 0.3 mm
    Vert. offset from part 1 layer (AFAIK if I make this 0, all the problems above will be gone but I'll never be able to get the support material off of the part).
    I'm printing at 0.2 mm resolution with 3 perimeter layers with extruder at 210 deg.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help with this :)

Attached Files:

• img.JPG
      img.JPG
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Eagerly awaiting to see what the experts have to say on this.

3. duke

duke New Member

Thanks, I've already gone through the 1st guide, but will definitely read the 2nd one.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The biggest issue for overhangs is usually too much heat and too little cooling.
    Most normal filaments (like PLA) are very forgiving and you can get generally decent behavior even if you are at too hot extrusion temperature. It may loose a bit of quality, but that is subjective. Where it WILL fall down is bridging. Too hot is the Achilles heel for bridging. You need to run cool as practical and fans to the maximum.

WheresWaldo and duke like this.