1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Firmware Change Log

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jeff Uberstine, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jeff Uberstine

My Unit just updated to V 1.1.4-c2.0 from 1.1.1. Anyone have a change log?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Afraid only Robo could provide that :)
    They are not terribly open on that side, yet.

Mine also recently did this update.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jeff Uberstine you can become a GITHUB reader and see if you can decipher the changes made to the various parts Robo includes in RoboOS. I think you will find that the actual printer firmware changes very little from version to version, usually confined to configuration refinements, and that some other pieces change more.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think the version displayed on the LCD for the C2 is the RoboOS version ... It may sync with the firmware version (but why they would rename marlin 1.10 to 1.14 is beyond me)

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have complained about this too! Marlin is still 1.1.0 and Robo only changes it because the Firmware Updater OctoPrint plugin is written to only see the M115 string and Marlin only uses 3 digits by default. It then checks against some server somewhere in the world to determine if an update is available.

Unfortunately the GIT fork is not up to date since the Updater code still has this line in it
    Code:
      "update_service_url": "http://devices.bq.com/api/checkUpdate3D/{model}/{language}/{version}"

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Still not software folks, eh? :)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

My biggest complaints are little to no testing of changes, arbitrary code changes that add little to no value, almost no documentation on what or why changes are made. I am not even sure they have those conversations internally, but I would hope so. It makes it nearly impossible to follow the logic, if any, that is being used when the RoboOS is being pieced together.

I would love to see a spec document that outlines the goals for current and future RoboOS versions, my fear is that these things don't exist or are just a loose set of emails with no cohesive end goal.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Don't get me started on programmers! As a former Software Group Manager I know full well what happens when you put programmers in charge of complete software projects. I also understand what happens when you have a limited amount of resources (people in this case) and you are trying to design and code a UI. If I had a nickel for every time I had to ask a programmer to justify why code was changed.....

It's a good thing this isn't Linux kernel development and Linus isn't reviewing the code changes himself.

9. Jeff Uberstine

Thanks guys. GitHub isn't something that is new to me and neither is software development. That said, their code is about as cryptic as it can be. No change logs, multiple repos involved in the process without any documentation on which repos and which branches are involved. This is madness. :-(

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Jeff Uberstine

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Geof likes this.