1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Flexon Extruder problems !

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by oldfarmhand, Mar 20, 2017.

1. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Hello all Im having a problem with my extruder I have changed to a flexon extruder and as you know its a direct drive the problems comes in as i was trying to calibrate it. The extruder was clicking bad so I checked the ramps current its at .59 and i think thats ok but a little high as i was trying to set the calibration and I would try to extrude it would start extruding and then it would start retracting the filament on its own. I have a 2015 robo r1
    Also as I was trying to calibrate the extruder it would run for about 1 second and then pause for about a half second then run it would do this for the whole 10 mm I was trying to extrude

#1 oldfarmhand, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, I doubt anyone else on here has your configuration, but our delta has a direct drive (as does the C2) and that clicking is the extruder stepper skipping steps. Only thing you can do is to boost the stepper drive current. if the current actually is 0.5 AMPS that is low. 1.0 to 1.5 AMPs is more typical.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and yes, you might want to add a heatsink on the motor since it will run hotter.
    I added one to each stepper on the delta.

4. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

what would cause the extruder to go in reverse like it does and I was checking the voltage on the E ramps

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

slicer retraction settings will make it go backwards.
    Unless it is wired backwards :)

6. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Thats the problem im not doing retraction im just pressing extrude just to check how much filament is extruding and I unplugged the motor to hook up flexion assembly to it because I used the same extruder.motor and same wiring

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bad stepper driver then I guess. Nothing much else in there between the RAMPS and the motor

8. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Im still not able to get the extruder motor from skipping steps. This is what I have tried, change ramps driver,change extruder motor,turn voltage up to 1.25 volts on ramps driver,reduce steps on eprom code, run extruder hotter 250c, check for nozzle clog. could someone tell me what else i could try?

9. oldfarmhand

oldfarmhand Member

Im still not able to get the extruder motor from skipping steps. This is what I have tried, change ramps driver,change extruder motor,turn voltage up to 1.25 volts on stepper this is (volts not amps) driver,reduce steps on eprom code, run extruder hotter 250c, check for nozzle clog. could someone tell me what else i could try?
    Mark Tomlinson was talking about turning up the volts his Quote :( Only thing you can do is to boost the stepper drive current. if the current actually is 0.5 AMPS that is low. 1.0 to 1.5 AMPs is more typical.) is he talking about the pot on the stepper driver? if so that will only go up to 1.25 volts and I have changed driver
    If anybody can help I would appreciate it!

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are rated at 1.65A, two coils on, 80C rise. With the current is set to 1A, when both coils are on the driver gives 0.7A each. The temperature rise in the motor will be 80C * (0.7/1.65)^2 = 14C, so the motors only get warm in ambient conditions. Measure the voltage on the wiper of the pot you are adjusting and set it to 0.4V. That will give 1A to the stepper. That is the minimum I would expect to really be enough to reliably move the steppers. You may want more (like 1.25 amp) and if they run hot add a heat sink to the stepper.