1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Z Axis offset problem?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bruce Fyfe, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think the issue is that darn M500 that was in the startup gcode originally. If the MatterControl people put that in their as a default, shame on them.

First things first, no matter what slicer you use zero out M565, by issuing the following two commands in a terminal window.
    Code:
    M565 Z0
    M500

Now it is zero and can be set in startup gcode like you have it there in your Cura example above, second the G1 Z5 F5000 that is right above the G29 has no business being there. So in the machine settings of Cura you can adjust the startup gcode and remove that line in its entirety. I would start at the M565 offset at -1.0 and test, if it is too close you can only move in increments or multiples of 0.02 so for example -1.1 is okay -1.01 is not, -1.02, -1.04, -1.06 is okay and so on. until you get it just right.

#21 WheresWaldo, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Rigmarol likes this.
  2. Bruce Fyfe

Bruce Fyfe New Member

OK, I am running out of ideas. The link here is to a video of the behavior I see. I uninstalled all software, cleaned up registry and appdata and reinstalled the software. Trying to print the calibration circle that comes in MatterControl downloaded from Robo3d site.
    Video:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au6wx7E2K8vfj4Nta-xeHP6EaZpsCw

3. GorillaBob's RC

GorillaBob's RC New Member

WheresWaldo, You sir are awesome! A year and a half ago, my printer broke down and due to my job, family issues, and other time restraints, I didn't bother to get it working. But I recently felt the itch to get back to printing. So I ordered the replacement parts I needed: New belt, 4 new fans, various nuts and bolts and set about repairing the machine. Finally after all arrived and things were repaired, I downloaded and installed the software and tried getting the machine running. The software has changed a bit and it was obvious that the Z offset needed some work. Try as I might, it didn't change. With a Z setting of even 100mm, nothing changed. I have been through the forums for hours and still nothing. Then on my 5th visit to this thread, I actually took the time to read EVERYTHING and saw your M565 Z0 / M500 commands and gave them a try. Viola!!! it works. Now just some fine tuning to get everything set. Thank you Thank You!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you do what @WheresWaldo asked?

Code:
    M565 Z0
    M500

In the GCode console?
    This is something you manually type in...

5. GorillaBob's RC

GorillaBob's RC New Member

Yes and it started working correctly after that. Z Offset is at 0.92mm and there is no protruding lip around the prints from where the plastic managed to squeeze out through the nonexistent gap between the bed and the extruder tip.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That question was for the member having the problem currently -- the one who opened this thread: @Bruce Fyfe

7. Bruce Fyfe

Bruce Fyfe New Member

I thought I did but not sure now. I actually gave up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.