1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Abs settings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Andy Kerwin, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Andy Kerwin

Andy Kerwin New Member

Hi have been having a lot of trouble getting my abs prints to work i alway layer deviations that i never get while printing PLA i don't have a problem with bed adhesion or warping.
    I use IC3D ABS

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im sorry i dont use abs, hopefully a member that does can chime in with what they use.

When i do print abs i print hot, 250 ext, 80 bed. They look like crap but no delamination (i hate abs)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

ABS is environment sensitive and that is why it wants a heated chamber.
    Without that you MUST minimize air flow around the print and run it with a hot bed.
    I have had best results with the bed at 110.

Actually my best results have been with something other than ABS. BluPrint for example :)

Why use ABS?

http://taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  4. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Hello Andy,

I've been printing with ABS, quite successfully, this weekend (I had an entire roll, and it's the color I needed!). I use Repetier Software, which I just learned how to use - quite intuitive, I like it. It's not as awesome as Simplify 3D, but it is free :)

I haven't been using any adhesive, I keep the bed between 115-118C, I have the extruder set to 245C, and I have an added z-offset of -0.3 to sort of 'smoosh' the first layer to the build plate. I'm not sure how you'd do that on Matter Control, but there's an extra input for it in Repetier (besides the G-code z-offset that Mark helped me with on Friday).

I can send you some screen shots of my settings if you're still interested - not sure if you still want to/need to print with ABS, but it is possible! Let me know! :)

Michele

5. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I have also built a box/towel fort around the printer to keep the heat in :) I can send pictures of that as well :)