1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New mount for the E3Dv6 and Bondtech for the Robo

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by NFOsec, Oct 24, 2015.

1. NFOsec

NFOsec New Member

Well, I decided to make the jump to the E3Dv6 hot-end solution in addition to the Bondtech extruder. My primary reasoning was because I need to have a higher degree of reliability printing nylons (Taulman 618 bridge, 910, BluPrint) as well as semiflex Ninjaflex type filaments. While I use Hatchbox filaments primarily for everyday PLA, those specific types noted above were important to me and were the main reason for the purchase.

Mike Giraud had successfully created a mount for the Robo to support Martin Bondeau's Bontech extruder (v2). Martin was more than kind enough to offer to print it for me (PetG) because I did not have a mounting option that worked with the quick-release R1+ I owned since the beginning of Sept 2015. The extruder is awesome on its' own, but let me tell you, the mounting plate is very well done! [​IMG]

The side bar has 2 screws that you remove to set up your hot-end, and once you mount it to your carriage using M4-70x screws underneath and directly into fittings on the mount, you're in business.

If you get the Bondtech, I suggest that you use (2) M4-70x 1/2" length screws with a single split lock washer.on each screw This actually creates a perfect fit and allows room for an extra 1/4 turn if need be.

The only drawback I found was that the supplied stepper cable was actually 12" too short, so I built a longer one and ran it through the cable conduit wrap.

One thing I did that I didn't realize until the cover was already screwed on was that I reversed the stepper polarity by the connector on the board, so it was in fact attempting to retract instead of extrude. Once that was adjusted, it's been screaming print heaven easily at 60mm, including my Taulman nylons.

Mike Kelly and jim3Dbot like this.
  2. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Really like the simplistic design...and probably lighter than the stock Wades?..............Good job NFOs..............

Oh forgot to ask, How easy is it to Initially start filament....PLA tried?

3. NFOsec

NFOsec New Member

It is lighter, and for starting filament, all you need to do is drop it in the hole, and (jog) extrude it, it grabs it right away and feeds it all the way through to the hot end (pre-heated of course)

4. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Even tho I have the v6.........It's a PITA tryin' to hit that PTFE tube, fighting the springs in the darkened pit.........yeah, not real happy with the current extruder set-up........Hey!....I'll be buggin' you in a few weeks once you have more time in the BondTech to pick your brain. Take Care..........

5. NFOsec

NFOsec New Member

No problem, there are a few more victims out there that enjoy the power winch pull and extrusion of a Bondtech -- I thought it was going to rip the spool out of the wall. LOL! Glad to be of any assistance (as I'm sure any others too).

6. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

It uses a geared stepper stepper instead just a regular nema 17. So weight is probably not going to be much different as geared steppers are heavy. However the bondtech is a great design for sure.

7. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

I just built a carriage for the BondTech extruder. It's pretty sweet. Put a lot of thought into it. Anyways, I'm trying to get the BondTech and E3DV6 up and running on my robo R1 plus. Do I need to update the firmware? What are the steps I need to take to make this happen? Thanks

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You are undoubtedly going to need to change the eSteps (extruder steps/mm) since it will not be the same as the GregsWade.

9. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

Where do I start and is that the only thing I need to do?

10. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

Can you help guide me through all the steps that I need to take? I'm really new to this.

11. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

what do you have to do to get the BondTech working on the R1 plus? I'm not getting any feedback from the motor or extruder.

12. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

what kind of programming is necessary for this to work? And any other things I should know?

13. billbreaker

billbreaker New Member

How about a link to the stl file for the bracket???
    That sure would be nice since there is no other found after hours of scouring and three different prints of brackets that just will not quite work....
    Thanks in advance...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can ping @NFOsec directly and ask him (his project after all) :)
    He doesn't appear to have been on since last November so not sure how active he is.

15. billbreaker

billbreaker New Member

does anybody know where i can find this file to make my own bracket for this?
    I am having hard time finding one.
    modified a different one i found but unsure as to the way it all fits and the strength of it.
    please help or i could try designing my own i can pretty much teach myself anything as i do not limit myself,
    however, i think this might be a little too time consuming to start with for first model design..idk?
    any suggestions?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Other than designing it yourself can reach out to mike giraud as he mentioned upthread.
    I will PM you the details.