1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered X Axis resolution issue... (Recently Showed up)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by George Westwater, Dec 15, 2016.

1. George Westwater

George Westwater New Member

Hello, everyone. I have had my Robo 3D R1 Plus for almost a year. The print quality started out great and has been great until recently. I could really use some help I am getting so frustrated I am ready to pull my hair out

First I had some very minor problems with my Y-axis. So I tightened the screws and then that was back to normal.

Now I am having an issue with the X-axis. I have tightened the belts. it helped a small amount. I took the belt off adjusted it and re-tightened it. I have tightened the belt as tight as I feel comfortable with but I still have the issues in the photo (the Green Parts) .

If it helps when I slide the print head along the X-axis and the belt is really tight I feel resistance near the center of the bar.

So my question is do I just keep tightening the belt?
    Do I need to replace the belt?
    Did my bar somehow get bent?

do I need to adjust something on my Z axis? maybe it's affecting it?

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

2. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi,
    Did you ever resolved your issus?
    I started to get shifting.

3. George Westwater

Can you post a picture of your issue?

After a long fought battle we determined my was Z-Banding not layer shifting. I have new lead screws to replace and bearings to replace and that "should" fix the issue.

The best way to see if it is Z-Banding for me is to lower the Z all the way then raise it 150mm and look at the lead screws. (or use some paper etc.) if they are wobbling just a little bit it is likely you are having the same Z-Banding issue not layer shifting.

4. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

I don't think the problem is in the Z-Banding. I have 2 robo's R1 one the X glids perfectly on the rods and one when it glides to the left it give resistance at a certain point.

I just ordered bearings from amazon and should get them tomorrow.

It shift always around the same place. Look at the picture. I usualy do large prints because I am a teaher in an architectural technologist program.

You will see 3 arrows, the first is the raft, the second the first shift and the third the second shift at the same place of the first shift.

Thank you for your help. Do you think it might be the bearings?

Attached Files:

5. George Westwater

It could be the bearings in the carriage but I would expect it to happen more often / more erratic.

Are your end stops working properly? I have had shifting like this if it thought it was able to print further on one axis than it actually can so it firmware gets confused and can not reset back to 0 properly.

The other thing I would check is the pulley tooth thing (no idea the real name) where your X belt is. Make sure it does not slide back and forth when you move the carriage. If it does you need to adjust where it connects to the carriage. I needed to put a small spacer (using a zip tie) to ensure the belt would not rub on the pulley which would cause odd lag and sometimes "stick" and then cause it to slip a layer.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

7. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Yes my end stops work well.

For the pully tooth, well since I disconnected the pully and I pushed the X axis by hand, I still get the resistance at the same place on the rod.

I also checked all the screws, everywhere, to make nothing was moving.

Thank you

8. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi,

Yesterday I received my bearings. Amazon 24 hours and got them. With a bit of force, I got the 4 bearings out. To put the new ones in no problem.

After putting everything back together my X axis never glided so good. No force needed. It goes left to right with no resistance. I think I had this issue from day one.

Did some 4 hours + print and WOW! Perfect.

The moral of this story is: If you are about to lose your bearings just change them!

Thanks to everybody for your help.

9. George Westwater

Glad this worked out for you. Can you link me to the bearings you bought I may need to replace mine as well (might as well after I change the lead screws)

10. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

11. George Westwater