1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

C2 Filament Run-Out Detection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ryan585, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Absolutely agree, was just curious :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is rather a down-side to making it an "appliance" ... it needs to work 99.9% of the time :)

If your toaster* dies you don't have many options to fix it.

*given the price a refrigerator is a better example ;)

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you dont fix your toaster ? ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. robodobo

robodobo New Member

Same here --- finally got the Kickstarter campaign C2 printer.

Can't print anything though --- for the same reason.

5. Ryan585

Ryan585 New Member

Robo let me know how to disable the sensor. It's a temporary fix, but it can do until you can exchange or get a new sensor.

"I have a quick fix to get you printing below, but have some questions first.Are you a Kickstarter backer? We QC’d the recent batch C2s we sent out to Kickstarter backers very extensively, and reworked any we found that failed QC testing.Are you using the black block on the back of the printer to guide your filament into the white PTFE tube?

If you are still having problems, you can disable the Filament Sensor plugin through your web dashboard. You can access it by either finding your IP address on the LCD screen under Utilities/Network/Network Status; or if you are using a Mac you can simply type in the name of your printer into your browser using the “printer-name.local/” format.Once you are in your dashboard, the plugin can be disabled under Settings/Plugin Manager. Look for the Plugin labeled Octoprint-Filament and click the black circle on the right side of the screen. You will get a status pop-up saying the plugin has been disabled.

Regards,

Dave"

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Excellent update. Hopefully they are going to handle replacing it as well.
    It will be interesting to see how they approach that since actually replacing it is not a straightforward evolution.
    Not impossible, but beyond the scope of a consumer effort.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Laugh, but some computer companies (like Dell) have 3rd party technicians that they "lease" to come and do service on their machines under warranty. Now, there is a big price gap (currently) between a dell laptop and a Robo printer (more so with extended warranty coverage on the laptop) but they need to consider services like that if they want more penetration into the consumer market. Serviceability is a thing :)

Right now their only real option is to ship it back and send a replacement.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

oooooo! Maybe I'll get one thats broken from them! I dont need a runout sensor! BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

I'd guess they will do a exchange or expect the consumer to repair their machine (I have no real reason to base this just a hunch). They offered to exchange my R1+ way back right at the end of my warranty so not real worried about them making it right somehow.

10. robodobo

robodobo New Member

Thanks so much... Didn't even know C2 had a server onboard.

The actual plugin name is Filament Sensor (2.2) on the second page under Plugin Manager.

11. J_Man

J_Man Member

My sensor appears to be backwards. I had that same issue where it kept stopping saying filament ran out. I switched to the other side and it ran fine after that. But I followed the picture diagram for how to attach the filament. It's just the opposite though. You won't be able to know though until you set it up, so first time users just need to follow the instructions. Just try swapping sides if it doesn't work then contact Robo if both sides won't work.

12. jdo

jdo New Member

New user with the same sounding issue. Been printing with a handful of successes for a couple weeks. Now 63% percent into a 17hr print i am receiving the same stoppage and error message "Filament has run out". Filament is threaded through the block and into the feed tube. However the filament feels as if its binding in the tube just past the block.

I have found that if i push enough filament to dislodge the feed tube from the extruder i can get more print time before the error. Essentially once the tube reseats into the extruder seconds later the filament run out error issue returns.

Using Robo filament as i was hoping for less issues staying in the family for a learning curve.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello. You can use any 1.75mm filament, dont worry about changing that. I'd contact Robo directly and explain your issue to them. They will fix it under warranty.