1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printing goes off axis mid print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jaykav99, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

This might be a slicer issue over all but. I was printing a music box out and as it layed down the first layer everything is good. Then second layer and beyond was shifted to the right maybe a qtr inch. Then prob 100 layers layer it shift a tiny bit more. Looking at the file in matter control all seems normal . I have wondered if its maybe a default axis issue but only on part of the print?. Any ideas would be appreciated. And I can upload pics tonight to make my question easier to understand

Robo r1+
    Wood filament
    Simplify 3d

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

likely a hardware issue. Is it shifting in X or Y axis? I'm guessing X. Check the belt is tight, the stepper pulleys are tightened down (there are black set screws that love to come loose)

3. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Whichever axis is used for the bed moving back and forth. I've only had the printer a few weeks but it also my first printer . I will check out the hardware you suggest though thank you

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So the bed is the Y axis. Under the bed (if you raise the extruder and lift up on the glass it will lift off its magnets so you can look under there) you will see cables that could be causing an issue (as well as a bracket that holds the bed heater cables in) as well as a belt that could possibly be loose or a timing pulley on the stepper in the center of the mount that has set screws like the x axis (right to left movement of the hotend - the piece that melts the plastic)

5. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Wow ok thanks for all or this useful info. I will check it out, when I get home tonight.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds great, keep us posted.

7. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Geof one more thing I just remembered. Sometimes when the bed moves. Its gets to the max move distance and it makes a loud noise like it's skipping the gear. Now this isn't all of the time and I don't remember hearing it on my last print but kinda seems like the wheel wants to send the bed father than it can go. Maybe that some how is leading to this issue now

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if its doing that on the max move front (towards you and the robo lettering) then I'd look at the clamp that holds the wires. It has one screw that holds it in and occasionally (all the freakin time lol) that screw comes a bit loose and the clamp hits the middle plate (black plastic everything is bolted to).

feel free to take pictures or video of what your seeing/hearing and I'll be happy to look at it with you.

9. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Great thank you very much for your time so far. I will def get into it tonight to see what's up and let you know

Geof likes this.
  10. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Ok decided to come home for lunch...impatient man i am. But i think i might have found a culprit. Bed cable is still in its bracket...dont see any loose screws....What i do see is the silver tape that holds the heat plate in place...the far back side nearest to the bed cable has been ripped apart by the pully screws so its getting hit every time it comes by...certainly seems like something like that might throw off a print just a bit...

Do you know if that is some kind of special heat resistant tape or can i just get some duct table to replace it?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ah yes that stupid heater. They should use more tape. I just use HVAC aluminum tape from the hardware store.
    Mine has tape across all of it at this point. defianently enough to mess up your print.

mark tomlinson and Jaykav99 like this.
  12. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Well it certainly could have been worse problem i guess... but looks like ill be hitting the store today...thanks again for your time Geof.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your very welcome. Not a bad thing to have a roll of that laying around. I think I've retapped mine once but have a extra few rolls for "just in case" situations. (there is a cork "insulator" and typically the hardware store does sell that as well, not saying you have to buy one, just saying)

14. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

I had to cover mine, with the aluminum tape, within the first couple of months of owning mine! On mine I had a piece of the original tape get wrapped around the pulley causing erratic movement errors. Definitely keep an eye on that area.

15. Jaykav99

Jaykav99 New Member

Doug, yesterday i just fixed the broken tape area and my latest print was tons better. Still a bit off so i may still have some issues but still tons better.
    Today i decided to come back and just cover the entire area with the tape now and will be checking it constantly . I have a 15 hr print job coming up and to see it fail 9 hrs in is just a hair pulling moment .

#15 Jaykav99, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  16. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Always to the right?? Check your belt tension. Maybe slow down a bit. I just had that with the Y axis.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk