1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved help with firmware updates

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by fastbike02, Apr 11, 2017.

1. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

Please forgive my ignorance but I have spent the last 2 days reading threads and trying to figure out how/if I should update my firmware. I purchased a full graphics display so I have to do editing anyways. I have already downloaded robo 3d original 3.0 firmware and made the following edits
    In "Configuration.h”
    1. Change “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER” (just remove the // at the beginning)
    REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library

I also downloaded Marlin-1.0.2-1 and stole the dogm_lcd_implementation.h from 1.0.2 file to get rid of the extra extruder info and such.
    so here is my questions:
    Is there anything else I should do before uploading new firmware?
    Is the mesh leveling worth the upgrade?
    if so what file should I use?

thanks in advance for the help!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Where did you download that Marlin version from? Robo or elsewhere?
    If "elsewhere" you need to get the CONFIGURATION.H from the Robo version (at a minimum) or you will need to be making a lot of changes for generic Marlin to work correctly.

If you got it from Robo then your changes look correct. For the Full Graphics one you also need to download and add the UG8 library to the arduino compiler in order to compile the firmware so it seems you have done that in which case you are good to go. Connect to the printer and compile and upload with the Arduino IDE. You will probably need to use the older version of the IDE (1.69 or earlier) to avoid compile errors.

3. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

All the files come from Robo 3d except the Marlin-1.0.2-1, and I only used the dogm_lcd_implementation.h file from it for the updated lcd display. What about the new mesh leveling firmware? One post says it's messed up the next says its working, is it any better than the auto leveling already on the robo? sorry for all the questions kinda new and just trying to suck all the info I can get in

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is not the same version of Marlin and is discussed in another thread (Marlin 1.10)

Version. 1.0 of Marlin does not implement mesh leveling

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

5. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

if so is it worth the upgrade? and if so which one would i need, as I see like 4 different ones in that post ? again sorry for all the questions

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Marlin 1.0.2 was and continues to be not worth any effort to get working on the Robo. If you must have new firmware then Marlin 1.1.0 is the only real way to go. Every Robo firmware for the R1 series of printers is Marlin 1.0.0 based, regardless what Robo wants to call it. You do not mention what printer you have so no one can really answer your question for you. is it an early R1 with 5/16/" threaded rods or a revised one with 8 mm threaded rods, is it an R1+PLUS with the TR8*4 integrated steppers or one you modified your self with some other lead screw pitch. Once you know that then all that is left to decide is do you want Auto-leveling or MESH leveling. It actually is pretty simple and most of us just over complicate our decision making by not having a clear idea of what we want to accomplish.

7. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

thank yall!! after some (more) research I will be staying with the robo 3d firmware I have now! Hopefully it all flashes well!

8. Keith Trusso

Keith Trusso New Member

Fastbike02, I too am a new user that added the full control lcd display... My contrast sucks, what is the dogm.lcd file you mention... Can that help with my problem ??

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a contrast knob/rotary switch (a small one) on the board and that is really the only thing that can fix contrast.

10. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

if it's one of the cheap red board lcds off ebay the contrast is super sensitive