1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed upgrade to Mk42 Heated Bed Ultimate 3D Printer Build Plate

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by banolka, Apr 12, 2017.

1. banolka

banolka Member

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You'll need to completely redesign the Y-axis to mimic the function of an actual i3 printer instead of the bastardized mendel90 design the R1 copies.

Good luck, you're the first person to consider doing this so you're going to be on your own unless someone else decides to do the same thing.

3. banolka

banolka Member

Hmm I was thinking to add aluminium plate instead of glass bed and screw MK42 bed to it. and Connect cables :)

I think it would work :) How about bed probing?

4. daniel871

As far as it goes, you'll basically be taking the MK2 firmware and overwriting the Robo firmware with it, after carefully double checking the differences in motor direction/limit switch orientations (as well as correcting the control board designation from Rambo to Ramps).

The biggest problem I have with this idea is that you would be better off selling the R1 and buying an MK2. I just don't see the cost-effective point of doing this.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Specifically what features do you want from this bed that the Robo doesn't give you?

That will be what tells the tale. There are probably other ways to do those "features" (and they have probably been done by someone).

6. daniel871

Doing the conversion to an aluminum bed with silicon heater & manual leveling add-on (one screw in front, two screws in back) would probably solve 99% of the problems you want to address with the MK42 add-on with fewer headaches.

Especially if you're talking about mounting an aluminum plate anyway.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I'm the other end of this one lol. I'd like to see what you come up with in doing the conversion. The MK heatbed is suprisingly nice on the MK2. It'd be interesting to see you import the pinda and heatbed mesh sequence on a robo. Cost effective? Probably not lol but still very cool.