1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Unzip the file. Open the marlin.ino file in arduino. It will open all the others for you. If your printer is stock, waldos settings are fine, just upload. If you have modified your printer, you may need to change a few things here first.

2. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

"Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino MEga or Mega 2560"

??

3. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

In file included from sketch\ultralcd_impl_DOGM.h:46:0,

from sketch\ultralcd.cpp:65:

sketch\ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:41:20: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory

#include <U8glib.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Common error and a google search will generate a lot of results.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...bugfix-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-39#post-90276

(in this thread) has some details

More here too:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/arduino-problems.8946

This entire thread is about reloading new (non-stock) firmware and is not a trivial change so you need to at least familiarize yourself with the arduino IDE if you want to be having any fun at all :)

It isn't RocketScience either, but ...

EDIT: If you need help getting started -- start a new thread or private message chain to discuss the basics without wrapping them into this thread (it is already long enough people don't review the entire thread).

#1124 mark tomlinson, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Rat_Patrol this version has the Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller enabled and not the default LCD Smart Controller, so the additional graphics library is required (unless you disable the LCD controller before compiling). But if you are not familiar with the Arduino programming environment this is probably not the way to start. Try downloading the original firmware for your printer and learn how to modify its configuration and how to compile and upload it to your printer.

6. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Thanks, its working on compiling now w/o any issues (so far).

Honestly, its all stuff I've done before, and I've played with firmware settings before, but I'm always pulled in 100 different directions in life, and I think sometimes my brain has to kick old stuff out to make room for new o_O

7. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

I was gonna ask before, but waited to see if its just a typo.. but the bed and nozzle autotune PIDs are swapped. the bed values are set in the nozzle spot and vice versa

8. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

It's it possible to disable LCD and still use mesh leveling? It wouldn't let me last time.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is a way to do mesh leveling without an LCD, it is one of the most tedious procedures you will ever do. You can disable the LCD in Configuration.h and then you also have to disable line #933
    Code:
    #define LCD_BED_LEVELING  //--BH
    My suggestion is to just go and get an LCD controller, they are cheap on Amazon and they are essentially plug & play.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You are right, I will remember to fix that on the next batch of files for May 1st. Since the variables are correctly named and the values belong to those variables it will still work as expected but it looks funny and is bad programming practice. Thanks for pointing it out.

11. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

is it possible to use auto bed leveling instead of mesh with the RCBF_MESH_TR82_04-16 firmware? (I really only want the nicer full graphics lcd display) as auto level is working fine for me

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@fastbike02 Just download RCBF_ABL_TR82_04-16 instead.

fastbike02 likes this.
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Updated post #1 with correct links to current versions.

14. Malek

Malek Member

Hi, first time poster here! Take it easy on me please.
    I have a Robo 3D R1 +Plus with the lead screw upgrade, and I downloaded "RC8_MESH_PLUS" (and also tried RCBF_MESH_PLUS_04-16), compiled and uploaded it to my printer. Right after the Arduino IDE says "Done uploading", my LCD displays 4 complete lines of "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn", with a dash above each n. Now this may be an eye roller to some of you, but it is certainly a head scratcher for me. As per the instructions on the first post of this thread, I tried navigating to "Configuration_adv.h", looking for something on line 475 that I can change to 10, but I coudn't find anything (probably because the line numbers shifted as edits were done), so I changed the closest line that made sense:
    #define DOGM_SPI_DELAY_US 7
    I changed the number to 10, then tried re-uploading, but it didn't change anything
    The printer still connects to all my slicers and accepts commands, but the LCD display is useless.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

#1134 Malek, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Code:
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER  //--BH

//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
    @Malek, you have the LCD Smart Controller and this is set for the Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller, you need to edit the source to comment one and uncomment the other. It is mentioned in every post that have the files attached.

16. Malek

Malek Member

Thank you. I got it working now. I didn't know there was a difference between a smart controller and a full graphic smart controller. I'm a newbazoid.
    Another question:

in "Configuration.h", are the PID settings for the extruder and the PID settings for the bed reversed? I mean I noticed that the following lines...

Code:
    #define  DEFAULT_Kp 31.59  //--BH
    #define  DEFAULT_Ki 2.47  //--BH
    #define  DEFAULT_Kd 100.92  //--BH
    ...were under the "PID > Bed Temperature Control" section, and...

Code:
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 105.35  //--BH
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 19.19  //--BH
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 144.55  //--BH
    ...were under the "PID Settings" section.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The values are correct, where they are in Configuration.h is swapped. It works as it but I already have this on the todo list for next month.

18. Malek

Malek Member

There's something that is really confusing me... When I set "G29 S4 Z0.85", it changes the "Bed Z" instead of the "Z Offset". I have tried a dozen numbers for the Z ranging from -2 all the way to +2 and in every single case, the nozzle would dig into the bed when it starts printing. Before I updated to "RCBF_MESH_PLUS_04-16" I was using "M565 Z0.85" and it was adjusting the "Z Offset". So what is the difference between Z Offset and Bed Z and how to I fix this issue?
    Thanks in advance!

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I haven't completely tested 4/16, I know that they are changing all the variable names to make them consistent across all the leveling options, there could be a bug.

Also were you sure to execute the following commands directly after flashing:
    Code:
    M502
    M500
    M565 is not supported, I mention that in every post of the files. It does nothing with MESH or UBL

20. Malek

Malek Member

Yes, I ran M502 and M500 right after flashing, only once. And yeah, I know about M565. I was just saying that I used to use it before I updated the new firmware.

I was wondering, what's the difference between "RCBF_MESH_PLUS_04-16" and "RC8_MESH_PLUS"? I'm sure it's probably mentioned somewhere in the last 57 pages, but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.