1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Mods and experiences with our Robo 3D R1+ (1st Printer)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Curtis Wolfe, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Curtis Wolfe

Curtis Wolfe Active Member

I'm sending a print from MC. I notice although it set the target temp for the bed. It doesn't for the extruder. I'm gathering the G-code.

upload_2017-4-17_21-5-17.png

2. Curtis Wolfe

Well, it set the target temp for the extruder after the bed hit it's target temp. Wierd

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is how MC does things.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

4. Curtis Wolfe

I guess I never noticed before.

I still only see the "Error: line number is not last line number+1" again after it got up to temp it started the bed probe stopped and powered down. Starting again and made a bad studder then started printing off the bed. I was watching the G-code no errors came back while it did this.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is really more of a warning since it will not stop the printer from printing.

6. Curtis Wolfe

Although I'm not seeing any temp errors in the G-code, I went up and down the G-code, I'm thinking its the thermistator, or a loose wire somewhere.

7. Curtis Wolfe

So the things I tried last night,

Tried sending a print from my SD card using the LCD screen. Same results
    Sent a print from MC and watched the G-code terminal. Same results

It starts the 9 point probe and stops at different points. After going through what seems to be a power re-cycle it starts back up, but starts printing right where the head stopped. Generally about an inch off the bed. It seems like if I let it go it would continue to print, but of course I kill it.

I've been messing with the print head a lot lately maybe somethings loose there. I'll run a couple other tests tonight and watch the G-code terminal. Perhaps take out the thermistor and clean it out again as I did before. and look for any other loose wires.

I called Robo and they said I would have to schedule an appointment with a tech, but their hours are the same hours I'm at work.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the tier-2 tech work normal business hours from the west coast. There has to be something going south, I still think you should try something other than mattercontrol since if it is messing up the slice you are not going to see a difference. Also, I would rather know what the GCode terminal is reporting when it stops... that might not be as easy to capture in MC, but if it is let's see it.

Make certain your fan on the bottom that cools the RAMPS is running full-tilt all the time. Overheating of the RAMPS can have similar symptoms.

9. Curtis Wolfe

I've been using Cura. I'm only using MC to hook up and review the G-code it's spitting out. The print I sent fropmt he SD card was sliced in Cura. So I've sent a print sliced in Cura and in MC and recieved the same results.

That is interesting thing you mention. I installed a 80mm fan beside the Ramps board blowing air out of the case shortly after I got the printer to help with cooling. I'll check that little one. I can feel the big one I installed blowing air out of the case.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, the big one should cover it, but nonetheless give it a check :)

Mine is a 3" muffin fan sitting beside the ramps and I know that pulls enough air volume to do the trick.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, dump the entire gcode terminal log for one where it is misbehaving and upload it.

12. Curtis Wolfe

Thanks Mark,

I'll look into these things tonight.

Wife said a big box arrived. I think that's the Flsun kit I ordered.

I also received that kit I bought that has the ramps board and drivers in it a couple of days ago.

Printer kits and parts are starting to stack up. LOL

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Curtis Wolfe

Pretty inconsistent with the way it's acting. When I got home I decided to turn it on and send a print from the SD card just to see what happens. It made the first bed probe and then powered down for about a minute, came back to life but all the temps were set at 0. Tried again. This time it made it through the bed probe but stopped about two minutes into the print. Tried a third time after resetting failsafes in the LCD. Shut down after the first bed probe. Power is still coming from the power supply because that extra fan I installed that's powered directly from it is still going.

It seems like the little fan on the ramps is going.

Anyway I uploaded the G-code from a failed print last night

Attached Files:

14. Curtis Wolfe

15. Curtis Wolfe

There's a video of it shutting down. Thermistor shorting out?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you watch the LCD (specifically the extruder temperature) you can see it bouncing all over the place initially.
    My bet is that the firmware is catching and not reacting until just after the autoleveling finished (because MARLIN is single threaded and the error is not caught until after that routine is done). Also I imagine it is the TEMPERATURE FELL TOO MUCH DURING PRINT error because it is bouncing as low as 175C (maybe more).

So yes, it is a bad thermistor or the wiring is bad :)

Curtis Wolfe likes this.
  17. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Not associated with the issues you are experiencing but did anyone else notice in the video it homed Z in the corner before the ABL (which yours is drastically slow by the way lol)? In my experience the Robo homes Z in the middle of the bed.

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Ryan TeGantvoort That is configurable in Marlin, if you disable Z_SAFE_HOMING it will home the Z axis at X0, Y0

19. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Is there an advantage to homing Z that way?

20. Curtis Wolfe

A nice guy from our FB group is sending me an after market one, but I'm not sure if it will work. He says he put it on his. so we'll see. I also put in a replacement part request with Robo.