1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Spare Parts, what would you keep on hand

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DonW, Apr 16, 2017.

1. DonW

DonW New Member

Just getting started with my r1 plus (stock no mods), I am wondering what spare parts I should have on hand and when printing replacement parts what material should i use?

Thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @DonW

Thank you for starting a thread. It will get more eyes on it and give you more opinions on this vs posting in the shoutbox.

I work in a print shop, we print 24/7 so my opinion will be different from a pure hobbyist but at least its out there for you.

I print 1 of every plastic part on the machine, I stick them in a box labeled robo spare parts and only worry about them when something breaks (Yes I do this even with an army of printers, downtime is downtime :D, best to print parts in free downtime then to push a job to get a machine running)

I also stock at least one ramps/arduino combo. I do this because...well they fail lol. My OEM lasted a good 7 or 8 months of heavy use but I still had it shortly after getting the printer.

I stock (for no reason really) a set of steppers. Since they are Nema 17 motors one set fits many many many of my machines so I'm not really out anything stocking a full set...a hobyist that doesn't want 2 day amazon prime shipping of downtime stock one or two maybe, I personally havent had one fail but that may be because I have a set on the shelf lol.

I have a spare build plate (this was not bought but sent to me during troubleshooting during warranty)

Back when mine had a hexagon hotend I had 3 hotends. The reason I did this was a clog or jam I could quickly swap to a "fresh" hotend and get printing again (clean the other while it was printing)

I do have a spare power supply and LCD but again...these fit multiple printers so easy enough for me to justify. Same as steppers, if you cant wait the 2 days for prime might want to have one of each? (stock printers dont have an LCD but you SHOULD add one, so nice)

Essentially...I stock at least 1 set of everything lol. The long windedness above was to explain some of it as if your not doing a buisness with the machine and you can have downtime then stocking most things I do is a waste of money :D but if you are a buisness and cant have downtime...its cheap enough to spread the cost over a few months and have a nice on hand inventory of spare parts, both printed and purchased.

Some more experienced users like @WheresWaldo @mark tomlinson and some others will likely be along soon to add their opinions as well.

SPyKER and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you only have one printer having all of the printable parts printed for spares is just smart.
    Steppers -- yes. I bought a box of 5 a few years back (because it was way cheaper) and still have a couple as spares (some went in to replace dead ones and some went into new printers or modifications to existing printers -- not as replacements). The Delta we bought uses a different style and I bough 4 of those as well :)
    Power supply is cheap and common to many models/brands.
    Box of LM8UU bearings is a handy thing to keep around to -- the stock ones were not "finest kind" and will wear out quicker than you might expect.

#3 mark tomlinson, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    SPyKER and Geof like this.
  4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

My recommendation is that the best way to have spares ready is to get a spare printer.

My go-to recommendation is the Monoprice Maker Select mini, which is plenty big enough to print anything you might need to replace on the Robo and well capable of printing parts in PETG as needed.

$200 with free shipping in the US, and also an excellent point of reference against the Robo to help you figure out whether something is a malfunction or user-error.

Check it out here, sort the reviews by most recent. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15365

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While this sounds flippant at first glance, it is NOT. If you have multiple printers you can on-demand print anything that breaks. If it is not a printable part then you get a replacement.

I stopped stocking my spare printed parts box after getting a second printer (and now am up to 5) but if you only have one you need to print all of the plastic parts (don't forget the GregsWade extruder itself -- all printable)

6. DonW

DonW New Member

What material would you suggest for printing?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Frankly, nothing I have printed in PLA for spare parts (and used) has ever failed.
    Use whatever you want :)
    I did use nylon for some bed rail mounts, but almost any material is perfectly fine.

Even the extruder can be done in PLA (I have one that is working fine after 9 months).

8. daniel871

If you want to get real fancy with the PLA you can anneal it in a toaster oven you don't care to use for food ever again and make it a lot stronger and less susceptible to warping with heat over time later.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Where can you track down stuff like spare cooling fans for the extruder and hexagon hotends? Robo apparently no longer stocks any. I purchased some new fans that are the right size, but have different electrical connectors...and I really don't want to get into trying to manually split and wire new molex connectors or what have you. I'd upgrade to an E3D instead, but reviewing the thread, it looks like way more work than I want to do as a casual hobbyist.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can buy the hexagons on Amazon, GregsWade extruders off of eBay (or print your own)
    Linear bearings amazon or many other places...

All mine have E3D hotends except for the C2 -- two hexagons on it simply because I wanted dual extrusion.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

well....you cant that I'm aware of. You need a fan and waterproof JST connections.

Fan size is 40x40x10 for the part cooler and 25x25x10 for the hexagon coldend.

Easy thing to do is use crimp ferrils and heat shrink tube with a "pre wired" JST connector on it or solder togather. Not so easy thing to do is buy connectors and crimp onto the fan wires (my perferred) buts also not hard.

these are examples of items the right size and voltage, not a "go buy these" thing. Shop around:

https://www.amazon.com/40mm-10mm-Hi...8-2-fkmr3&keywords=evercool+40x40x10+mm+12vdc

https://www.amazon.com/Mercurry-x25...8-1-fkmr3&keywords=evercool+25x25x10+mm+12vdc

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-AWG-...&qid=1492631201&sr=8-3&keywords=crimp+ferrule

https://www.amazon.com/60pcs-Waterp...1226&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+JST+connector

12. daniel871

You could also just by the right 12v fans for each location. :shrug:

Can probably find cheaper, but here is the 40mm fan:

https://www.amazon.com/2packs-0-15A-Brushless-Cooling-AB4010M12/dp/B01CZFUOD0

And the 25mm fan:

https://www.amazon.com/Mercurry-x25mm-x10mm-brushless-cooling/dp/B01HGK8GIO

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Those have jst connectors on them?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, but perhaps not the same style :)

Geof likes this.
  15. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

And therein lies the problem. I already bought some like this. They're the right size/voltage, but with the wrong connectors. One of the reasons I went with the Robo3D is that I was tired of messing with my printer like it was a frankenstein's monster of poor wiring. I'm hoping to avoid that to replace what should be a stock piece, really. I do see some hexagons on amazon, so that's a definite help.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless you get the fans from the same source there is no certainty that the same connectors will be on them.
    Simple 12vdc fans though, replace the connectors. What's a little heatshrink on the wire going to hurt :)

Geof likes this.
  17. daniel871

You mean that isn't SOP for these printers? I had to spend a day just going through tracing wires and plugging things into the RAMPS & at the other end on the extruder carriage on the R1+Plus I got from the CES2016 contest.

18. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Went with this hexagon on Amazon; comes with a fan and with the necessary JRT connectors...still requires soldering, but only a single pair of wires. I can deal with that.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  19. DonW

DonW New Member

Thanks for all of the great feedback.