1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Does the Robo3D R1 Plus use a real arduino or a clone?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathan Elverud, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Nathan Elverud

Nathan Elverud New Member

I am almost certain I accidentally bent the usb port on my printer by putting it up higher and the weight of the cable bent it. It clearly has a lot of flex which my Arduino Uno does not share and I only have had the problem of it not connecting to the printer less than a day after moving it. The reason I want to know if it's a clone or not is because I wouldn't hate myself for ruining it as much if it were a cheap clone. I ordered a mega 2560 almost two weeks ago for another project and it's supposed to arrive monday so it should be a quick fix to replace the entire arduino if it is the port's fault.

I also could use suggestions on how I could fix the bent port once I have it removed so I can use it for another project.

2. Huski

Huski New Member

Mine has a genuine Mega 2560, although I don't know how typical that is. They are slightly modified with the USB port mounted to a small PC board which in turn is soldered to the Arduino .... all it does is extend the port about 20mm further so that it reaches the outside case of the Robo. You could replace with a standard Mega, just a bit of a fiddle to plug the USB cable in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Nathan Elverud

Nathan Elverud New Member

I've taken out the mega and when my new mega gets here, I should be able to make it work. I would still like to fix the mega from the printer and I do not know how. The power led flashes on and off as wiggle the cable back and forth slightly so I think I might just have to re-solder it, but I've never used a soldering iron before. I think I'll try doing this. http://www.instructables.com/id/Solder-USB-cable-to-Arduino-UNO-clone/

4. Huski

Huski New Member

I replaced the PCB USB with one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332065235749 .... the soldering isn't too easy as the circuit board is double sided, you need to be careful that you do damage the copper tracks when removing the old one.
    The Instuctable in your link looks like it would work with less chance of damaging anything, although I would be tempted to print a 'holder' for a new female USB plug and attach that to the outside of Robo casing ( maybe better positioned for your setup), then run a cable from that to the Arduino as in the Instructable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk