1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Crazy problems?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TKCC71, Apr 22, 2017.

1. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

My Robo all of a sudden has been having all kinds of issues. At first all my print temps would just drop off 20-30 degrees for a few seconds during the leveling procedure. Now this is what simplify is doing (Video) when I hit print. I can raise my temps in the control panel with no issues. Sometimes I can get a few layers and then the print stops. So many variables not sure what is going on?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Since not all of us can see your video, perhaps some details about the problem?
    The dropping of the temperatures is a know issue with Marlin (not the printer itself) you need to make sure there is not a lot of airflow around the printer to minimize this.

3. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

The video is showing my Simplify Control panel. The X & Y numbers are all over the place. The G Code is flashing up and down so fast I cant read it. I tried to connect to Matter Control to see if I am having a slicer issue and it will not connect or recognize a serial port?

4. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Well I just got Mattercontrol to connect. Going to run a test print and see if it works

5. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Mattercontrol just had a pop up that said "Your printer is reporting a Hardware Error. This may prevent your printer from functioning properly.

Error reported "Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Tempeture is reset. Set it after resetting)"

It then went to level and then stopped in the corner and then temps went down

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to export the entire GCode terminal (the whole thing from the time you connected to the printer until you got that error) and look through it for the actual error. Save it as a text file and search it for ERROR.

Then tell us the real error :)

7. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Found it, it says

-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [36.809]

This is what I was seeing in the control pannel as well. I can turn on the temps, Temps go up just fine. Then, when the extruder is doing the leveling it goes to the far right corner and them temp just drops off 20 degrees in less than 1/2 second.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is a common error all over the forums.

Normally this means thermistor is either loose and moving around causing it to drop temperature or it is bad (i.e. cracked or something) causing it to drop.

In your case Marlin reads the temperature before the autoleveling dance is done then spends a minute ignoring the hotend while if does the autoleveling (not maintaining the temperature) and then comes back to see that Lo! and Behold! the temperature dropped (because, duh it stopped monitoring it).

Do the autoleveling before heating the hotend to temperature and that will help it.

(No, I don't know how to do that in MatterControl -- sorry, I do not use it).

Alternatively make darn sure there is minimal airflow around the printer and the temperature will not drop as quickly -- you might get away with it. Make certain the parts cooling fan is NOT on for the first layer since that will cool things down too.

9. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Thanks Mark, Appreciate the help and tips. Guess I'm gonna order a new hotend. time to replace this one anyways.

Tim

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It might just be a loose or bum thermistor, but if that is the Hexagon with the canister thermistor Robo is probably the only place you can buy that.

11. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

its actually a e3dv6

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you can buy parts rather than the entire hotend

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed I wouldn't scrap a e3d for a thermistor issue unless you want a spare hotend. You can verify its not a failing heater core/cooling issue by turning off the cooling fans and seeing if it does it again.

Like @mark tomlinson mentioned I'd check the thermistor is secure and the wiring is tight