1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Does Your Z-axis Lock?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TaylarRoids, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TaylarRoids

TaylarRoids New Member

So you know how after you home the X/Y/Z axes the X and Y torque lock so you can't move it around on accident and lose their homed positions? Can someone do me a favor and check if theirs does that for the Z axis too (just by manually turning one a little during a print), mine doesn't lock and it appears it might be slipping down during the print.

My higher layers get squished and after the print finishes the Z axis is definitely too low, as the first layer of the next print has the head crash into the bed.

So I'm wondering if the Z axis is slipping down or skipping steps or what, but if I can find somewhere in the config.h file to torque lock the Z axis just like the X and Y that would help me narrow down the possibles.

NOTE: I'm not using auto level-type homing where the Z axis is continuously variable during the print, I assume with that it might lock since they're more active. I use the general G28 single probe to home the Z axis since I'm using a Fleks3D bed attachment.

#1 TaylarRoids, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Taylar. You can turn the screws. People often pause the print and level it while troubleshooting. Maybe a picture of your issue ?

3. TaylarRoids

TaylarRoids New Member

Upon further inspection, it's only when I print certain things so I'm not sure what's going on. The prints that mess up look good in the slicer, but then the Z axis slows down towards the top and squishes the last few layers. BUT some prints work fine, super weird.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Mattercontrol ?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A picture would help.
    It might be as simple as a model where the layers get smaller near the top

When that happens you have to tell the slicer to allow more cooling for the smaller layers or they will become a melty mess.