1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Modding Questions (E3d and other)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by S-Fly, Mar 20, 2017.

1. S-Fly

S-Fly New Member

I have an R1+ and about a year ago I bought a E3d v6 kit. Well now I'm ready to install it, but it never came with the PTFE tube. I thought about buying some but I'm having a hard time finding information on it. Does anyone know the size?

My other question is should I use the stock extruder base, or should I try something else? I basically only print in abs or pla (I prefer abs). I dont think I'll use too much of other materials because I've been casting my prints.

My print bed also has a couple chunks out of the sides, I pulled a print after the bed was cool and it took some bits of glass with it. I seen that the store doesn't offer the bed in parts anymore,and with how easy this happened, I'm not sure if I want another glass bed.
    Are there alternative heated beds I could use, or could I simply get a thin sheet of aluminum or something to go over the glass?

Anyway Thanks in advance for any advice you offer, I'm hoping to get to it this weekend if I can get the parts in time

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Go to Lowe's or similar and get a thin sheet of glass and binder clip it to your bed. That should help you get by with your chipped bed. You can replace the whole bed with an aluminum plate. There are threads on doing that as well. Gives better thermal properties, but I would suggest still using a thin plate of glass over that as well.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. S-Fly

S-Fly New Member

I have tubing ordered, on my way home I'll try try to find some glass. I think everything around here are do it centers, ace hardware, and true values. Might have to go clear up to billings for that.

5. woferry

woferry Member

E3D also left the tubing out of my v6 order, I emailed them and they sent me the missing piece. I didn't have as much time between ordering and installation, so not sure if that would be an issue.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ace should be able to cut glass. Shop around at walmart or a dollar store for a picture frame with glass in it about the size of the robo :D

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

HomeDepot won't cut glass for you if it isn't the correct size (at least they won't here) Lowes will cut from the next size up. None of it is windows glass, those slots all have picture frame glass in them, difference being the thickness. If you want something as thick as the original glass you may have to go to a Glass Shop.

What part of Montana, my sister used to live in Coalstrip.

Geof likes this.
  8. S-Fly

S-Fly New Member

I dont live in Montana, but Billings is the closest City to me. I live in Wyoming
    Right now I just want a smooth surface so I can start printing. I just got e3dv6 installed and now I'm testing it

9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Cheap Mirrors work too.