1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Ultimaker that Robo made.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SteveDjarrell, Dec 5, 2016.

1. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

Just wanted to show my current project. I decided to build rather than buy.... making a few adjustments like a prometheus v2 and some small modifications to the original files from thingiverse.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike Kelly, danzca6 and Geof like this.
  2. SteveDjarrell

I am waiting on the rest of the parts to arrive from China. At the end of the day this will be a UM2 for approximately $524.xx

3. SteveDjarrell

Rather than convert to the ramps I decided to keep the ulti-superboard. Converting to a ramps / Adrino saves 100.00

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very cool. Keep us posted as you go!

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was going to be a breakdown of the R2/C2 components used to clone the UM.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That's a project on my list as well. Been slowly buying parts for it. Now that E3D has a UM2 kit, I am even more excited to start. You are off to a great start on yours. Any upgrades over the stock project on Thingiverse?

7. SteveDjarrell

Ok, I guess having to wait till Christmas is going to be a pain (Wife intercepted the rest of my parts and wrapped them up and shoved them under the tree) So since I have time on my hands I have changed a few things. First I have decided to go with Solid corners rather than the 3 pieces that make the upper corners. I took a design on thing verse and modified it to remove some material and not take away from the esthetics of the frame. Next I decided to move to Direct Drive rather than the belts (Going to have some spare parts now). To accompany the parts I found pre made, I modified the Y Axis Left rear bearing mount to re-incorporate the X Axis Limit switch that the original designer removed. I also lengthened the part to place a mounting hole in an area that did not conflict. Slowly getting there, Although I need to make a mount for the auto-bed leveling Sensor. So that is where I am at now. More after the new year.

Attached Files:

8. danzca6

That is the funniest thing I've read today! Hahaha...sounds like my house.

SteveDjarrell likes this.
  9. danzca6

The one piece corner brackets was something I was thinking about as well. That should really make things more stable. The direct drive, will that mean you will have lead screws for x and y instead of the belts?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you need some pictures of the ultimaker set up send me a PM with what you need and I'll snap some pictures.

11. SteveDjarrell

No still belts connecting the two 8mm smooth rods. Just no belt from the stepper to the smooth rod.. should help with backlash or so I've read. I just did not want to worry about keeping the drive belt from the stepper motors tensioned.

Printed Solid likes this.
  12. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

This is a cool project.

Re: the short belts. I think that going direct is a good route as long as you don't get backlash from the coupling. That option became popular on the original wood frame ultimakers where you were having to tighten the short belts every other day, but seems to be a non-issue with the frame on the 2.

13. SteveDjarrell

OK it's been a while but I made some progress I had a lot of delays broke a couple parts had to re-order them but here are some pictures and a small video final assembly is not done yet it's just put together enough to run and not look horribly bad. It's also almost 2 AM and I'm tired so I'll post more later.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo, danzca6 and KTMDirtFace like this.
  14. SteveDjarrell

Cable management is tomorrow night....

15. SteveDjarrell

Ok, after playing and printing for a few hours I can see that my robot has just been moved to backup. Quality out of the box is hands down better than my highly modified robo. I was happy with my robo until I saw the first print on this one. All I can say is wow. I can only imagine the results once I tune and get use to this thing. I'll try to post some high res pics tomorrow.

16. danzca6

Do you have a list of all the thingiverse (or other repository) of mods to the original UM2 clone project? Looks like you made some nice additions to that original design.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That extruder looks almost identical to the new C2/R2 version as well.

18. SteveDjarrell

I do, I'll try to get them posted with my reason for the change. It is beefy but I like it.

19. SteveDjarrell

Ok, this printed at 80mm/sec. 2mm layer height. Outer perimeter is 65mm/sec and 25% infill. Still have not tweaked beyond leveling the bed. I'm pretty happy with this so far.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. SteveDjarrell

Please critique, am I to vested as the builder or is this fairly good for zero tweaking?

mark tomlinson likes this.