1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Changing the home direction in firmware

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Prak Coton, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Prak Coton

Prak Coton New Member

I recently change the head to flexion heads on my printers. The parts for the Robo3d R1 Plus stink! They require you to change the belt direction and stop switch side. I did this and followed their firmware changes to fix the printing. But everything printed mirrored. I got tired of dealing with it and designed new parts that let me reconnect the belts properly.

Problem is that during the process I had to change the side the X stop switch was on. I took a long time to thread the wire around to the other side. I don't want to move it back. I just want to change the firmware so that it homes to the other side. Make sense? I can't figure what setting in the firmware makes this change.

Thanks

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Look at trying to home to X Max instead of X Min, that way you can keep the model orientation. You will need to make sure that the bed X access length is correct in the firmware or it will bang into the left side.

3. Prak Coton

Prak Coton New Member

Yes, that's what i thought. when i change this to line from this

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
    // Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1

to this

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
    // Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    #define X_HOME_DIR 1

but it only changes the switch state (from expecting on to expecting off).

The direction doesnt change

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If you do this you'll probably also have to engage in some slicer setup adjustments to make things actually print properly, given the default quadrant most things are modeled in.

5. Prak Coton

Prak Coton New Member

Where do i make this setting change to home to max? that's the problem i'm facing

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you are not using Slicer code to zero you wouldn't, just think about it, he already switched the hardware so it homes X on the right side, so according to the original grid layout that would be X MAX and the layout is maintained. The slicer doesn't care how it is homed, it just cares that 0,0 is at the front left corner of the build area. Now if you need S3D or MC or Cura to do all your work then maybe you need to adjust the Homing direction, but I am pretty sure that only applies to connected printing and any routines specific to the slicer you use.
    Machine_Settings.png
    Let me look over the configuration file I am not sure you are looking in the correct spot, or they may be multiple lines to change.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Prak Coton does the Flexion instructions require that you switch where the X endstop switch is plugged into the RAMPS board?\

I think you need to use #define USE_XMAX_PLUG instead of #define USE_XMIN_PLUG and make sure it is , and then you may need to move the X endstop switch as shown in this image.
    [​IMG]
    Moving the plug from X-MIN to X-MAX.

#7 WheresWaldo, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Prak Coton

Prak Coton New Member

Awesome i'll try this asap

9. Prak Coton

Prak Coton New Member

Am I looking in the wrong place? this is what I see:

[​IMG]

only minus connections?

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those are +/- electrical notation.
    The plugs that would be between the ones you are using are the Axis MIN endstops.
    It appears as though that board may not have them.
    If this the R1+ it is possible since Robo dropped a lot of unused connectors from that version of the board to save costs.

You can swap back to a normal RAMPS 1.4:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

If you are going down the customization road you really should go to a standard board.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

P.S. Many of the cheaper standard RAMPS boards are a bit of a crap-shoot in terms of quality so I would advise getting two if you need one :) They are quite cheap (and generally that shows).