1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3d wood filament

Discussion in 'Filament' started by colton81, Apr 4, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

went out and bought a roll of robo wood filament. Ran solid prints with the normal pla setting and printed fine but the filament is almost like its water pouring through the nozzle. So went back and reduced by 5 degerees so 185 degrees Celsius and uped the print speed to 65 its helped alot but still some stringing effects. Will reduce to 180 today and see how it goes. But at least on the C2 i would recomend lowering the temp if your printing with robo wood filament. Just an FYI
    Also a side note i see alot of people saying to not leave the wood filament in the hotend why is that? Ive left mine in for 2 weeks now and seems like no issues.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is no problem leaving it in. The only thing is that it might get brittle and break, but with the bowden feed on the C2 that is unlikely.

They do suggest larger nozzles (like 0.5) but I have had no real issues using an 0.4

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

only issues I have is with direct drive machines and hatchbox woodfill. clogs up if I leave it in overnight. my bowden machines seem unaffected by it

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it has to do with how effective the post-print cooldown is and how aggressive your retraction settings are.

I know that it used to be that Woodfill would give you the mother of all clogs on a Volcano hotend if you weren't extremely careful (totally disable retraction, only print vase-type objects).

The actual wood content percentage of Robo's woodfill is probably low enough that you won't have any problems though.

5. holmes4

holmes4 Member

The C2 is NOT a Bowden feed! It just looks that way because of the tube. The C2 is a direct-drive extruder where the filament enters the hotend immediately after the extruder. With a Bowden feed, the extruder and hotend are separated by the tube and the filament is pushed through the tube. The C2 pulls the filament through the tube, and the tube's only purpose is to provide a smooth feed path.

On my Deltaprintr, a Bowden-feed design, I had no issues with Hatchbox wood filament.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Correct the stock is not a real bowden. Ours is (due to modifications)
    It is a direct extruder with a PTFE feed tube for the filament run-out sensor.

I need to remind myself that the stock config is faux-bowden :)

7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Just an FYI:
    I picked up a roll of Hatchbox wood fill PLA filament. So far, it is printing ok. You will want to flush the wood filament from the hot-end - use an ordinary white colored PLA. Even if you remove the wood filament from the C2 printer, residue will smell like burning wood the next time you print with your C2 printer (if you don't flush it out of the hot-end).